Re: Install new printer: Linux vs Windows

____/ Homer on Friday 16 May 2008 17:27 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Linonut spake thusly:
>> * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:
>
>>> Total time: 15 seconds. Total software installed: zero.
>>
>> Well, that's not quite true, since cups installs a lot of stuff.
>
> Let me rephrase that ... "total *additional* software installed", and
> even CUPS is only 9MB. The Deskjet PPD (essentially the "driver") clocks
> in at a whopping 9.3KB. Nonetheless, at the time I connected the
> printer, I did not install any software. Everything I needed was already
> installed as a default part of the distribution.
>
>> Your Windows experience is a bit unusual, even for Windows crapware,
>> Homer.
>
> I don't see it. I see nearly every Windows user I've ever met screaming
> with the pain of continuous and insurmountable Windows problems,
> interspersed with brief moments where things mysteriously seem to work.
> Lately the screaming seems to be getting louder, and not just because
> of Vista either ... XP SP3 has contributed significantly to the noise.

Not to worry. Ballmer promised a release every 2 years, so the Will Fix
Everything Release of Windows (maybe 7apourware) should be RTMed some time in
November this years. Oh wait...

http://ethics.csc.ncsu.edu/commerce/anticompetitive/vaporware/

Whao.

Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress'

,----[ Quote ]
| As PC users clamor for Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP, company
| CEO Steve Ballmer called the Vista OS "a work in progress" at an annual
| Seattle event on Thursday.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144773/ballmer_vista_is_a_work_in_progress.html

Whao! Hold on a second. You mean version /7avpourware/, right Ballmer? You said
7avpourware should be ready to succeed Vista within months.

Ah well... I guess disinformation is just how Microsoft does business. Later on
they wonder why people view them as scum...

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"
Tasks: 154 total,   1 running, 153 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie