[News] Complaint About Microsoft OOXML Scandal in Ireland, Digistan and Hague Declaration Revisited

  • Subject: [News] Complaint About Microsoft OOXML Scandal in Ireland, Digistan and Hague Declaration Revisited
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 01:04:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

| Vincent Henry
| Freedom of Information Liaison Officer
| National Standards Authority of Ireland
|
| [...]
|
| Dear Mr Henry,
| I am writing to make a request under the Freedom of Information Act.
| I would like to request the following information from the NSAI, relating to
| the NSAI’s work
| on ISO’s as-was draft standard DIS29500 (Information Technology — Office Open
| XML file
| formats).
|    • Minutes of all meetings of committees, sub-committees, working groups or
|    similar where
|      ISO’s as-was DIS29500 was discussed.
|    • Dates of all such meetings.

http://www.ifso.ie/documents/correspondence/20080422nsaiFoi.pdf

Please Welcome Digistan

,----[ Quote ]
| Standards and SocietyOn Wednesday, I introduced The Hague Declaration to
| those that visit this blog, promising to write again shortly to introduce the
| new organization that created the Declaration.  That organization is called
| the Digital Standards Organization (Digistan, for short), and I'm pleased to
| say that I am one of its founders.  In this entry, I'll give you my
| perceptions of what Digistan is all about, and what I hope it will
| accomplish.
`----

http://www.consortiuminfo.org/standardsblog/article.php?story=20080515060701633

Related:

Here is how Ireland voted in September:

Ireland Votes No with Comments

,----[ Quote ]
| After months of intensive review, analysis and discussion, NSAI has voted
| Disapproval - with Technical Comments, in respect of the OOXML submission.
| This effectively is a qualified yes, whereby Ireland has some technical
| issues with the submission. If the Technical Comments are satisfactorily
| resolved and incorporated into a new draft, the vote is subsequently amended
| to Approval.
`----

http://www.nsai.ie/index.cfm/area/news/action/article/information/xml

Then, Microsoft itself _represented Ireland_ in the BRM. What a fiasco!