[News] Big New Wins for Mobile Linux, Microsoft Responds with Baseless Promises

Linux Burrows Into Cellphones

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux, the open-source operating system, has yet to gain a real foothold on
| your desktop computer. But it soon will be in many cellphones.
`----

http://www.usnews.com/blogs/daves-download/2008/5/14/linux-burrows-into-cellphones.html

Microsoft Boasts About Future Smartphone Market Share, Is Clearly Crazy

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, dare I ask what you've been smoking?
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/05/microsoft_boast.html

Microsoft Windows Mobile to face strong LiMo challenge

,----[ Quote ]
| He added: "Linux, which has been much maligned by Symbian and Microsoft as a
| non-starter in the handset operating system market, is set to see strong
| growth as issues with framework fragmentation and silicon requirements are
| alleviated...The growing momentum behind the LiMo Foundation initiative, as
| well as the marketing boost that has been realized from the entry of Google's
| Android solution has been further enhanced by Nokia's support of the Maemo
| solution and its purchase of Trolltech."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18240/1095/

Recent:

Is Google Android the Next Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| On the flip side, Good Android (here’s a video demo) is a cross-platform
| software environment that multiple hardware vendors and service providers are
| expected to embrace. Although Android isn’t fully baked, Google is
| aggressively promoting the operating environment to third party developers.
| The idea is to get developers on board early, so that tons of Android
| applications are ready when Android-compatible devices finally debut.
|
| [...]
|
| Eventually, The VAR Guy suspects, Android devices will easily leapfrog
| iPhone’s market share. But that’s not a terrible thing for Apple. Although
| Apple nearly died on the desktop, Apple’s more recent innovations prove that
| you can thrive even when you hold less than 10 percent of a technology
| market.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/03/20/is-google-android-the-next-windows/

Google Exec: Android To Beat iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Rich Miner even went after Apple's handheld darling.  "Once you have devices
| out there from Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and so on, there's a much larger
| potential market on Android than for the iPhone," he said.  "[T]here's a
| single manufacturer, it's targeted at a particular demographic, and it falls
| far short of the 1 billion mobile phones sold every year worldwide."
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/03/17/google-exec-android-to-beat-iphone

esearch and Markets: Symbian and Linux Enjoy the Highest Penetration in the
Japanese Smartphone Market

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080102005331&newsLang=en