[News] OpenOffice.org 3 Praised, Microsoft Keeps Breaking ISO Rules

Review of the New OpenOffice 3 beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Our favorite office app, OpenOffice has just released the OOo 3.0 beta
| version. My review can be summed up in two words: it rocks!
`----

http://opencomputer.net/2008/05/15/review-of-the-new-openoffice-3-beta/

The standard that was not and the Hague Declaration

,----[ Quote ]
| We are on the 14 th of May and OOXML is an ISO standard. Slight problem:
| there is no known specification or definitive draft of that ISO standard.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2008/05/14/the-standard-that-was-not-and-the-hague-declaration/

Recent:

OpenOffice.org obeys Moore's Law?

,----[ Quote ]
| Back to the Laws. Has the OpenOffice.org installation size indeed followed
| the general trend of growth in PC disk capacity? This chart, which compares
| the hard drive capacity to OpenOffice.org installations, indicates the answer
| is no. In 2002, OpenOffice.org version 1.0.1 consumes 0.45% of a then-common
| 40GB drive. In 2008, version 2.4.0 consumes 0.15% of a 250GB drive—common on
| new systems today—and even less of the monster 1TB drives available.
| OpenOffice.org has grown slower than predicted.
`----

http://www.oooninja.com/2008/05/openofficeorg-moores-law-obeys.html

OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta: Creativity Extended

,----[ Quote ]
| As you can see the 3.0 will sport a number of very interesting and useful
| features, such as the ability to import PDF documents, switching language
| inside one document, a new StartCenter, new icons, etc.I wanted to go a bit
| beyond the list of new features and tell you about the effect that
| OpenOffice.org 3.0 will have on its users and ultimately on the way we create
| content share it and stay happily productive in this always-on world.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2008/05/09/openofficeorg-30-beta-creativity-extended/

Test Drive OpenOffice 3 Beta in Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| I wouldn’t yet do any serious work with this beta release, but I haven’t had
| any issues with it so far. OpenOffice 3 is looking good!
`----

http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/05/08/test-drive-openoffice-3-beta-in-ubuntu/

OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta shrugs off X11

,----[ Quote ]
| The OpenOffice.org Community has announced the public beta release of
| OpenOffice.org 3.0, a new version of the free office productivity software
| suite for various platforms including Mac OS X.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/050808-openofficeorg-30-beta-shrugs-off.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

First look: OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta a big step forward

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall, OpenOffice.org 3.0 beta feels like a solid evolutionary update with
| a handful of new features that will be useful to various niche user groups.
| It certainly is still a beta, however, as the suite crashed at least once on
| both Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard during testing. If you want to
| put a copy of your own through its paces, though, compiled versions for
| Linux, Solaris, Windows, and Mac OS X (Intel Macs only) are available now
| from OpenOffice.org's beta download site.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080507-first-look-openoffice-org-3-0-beta-a-big-step-forward.html

Britain complains to EU about Microsoft file system

,----[ Quote ]
| A British watchdog agency said Tuesday it had complained to European Union
| regulators that Microsoft Corp.'s new file format for storing documents
| discouraged competition.
`----

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5iE62Wtms_IdmDY__zEXVCG36si3QD90KT7701

Agency says Microsoft hurts student interests

,----[ Quote ]
| A government agency has told the European Commission that Microsoft Office
| works poorly with rival software used in schools, hurting the interests of
| learners, teachers and parents.
`----

http://uk.reuters.com/article/governmentFilingsNews/idUKL1356586720080513

OOXML: Wasn't There Supposed to be a Final Text Within a Month?

,----[ Quote ]
| Not to burst any bubbles, but I think the ISO folks have failed to follow the
| rules.
|
| [...]
|
| Personally, I seem to be losing count already of rules breached, but some of
| you are anal types and probably have charts and graphs and spreadsheets,
| because you haven't yet fully grasped the insouciant breeziness of the
| standards process in our modern world.

Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote

,----[ Quote ]