Re: [News] MSI Laptop Comes with Ballnux, Microsoft Worried About GNU/Linux ULPCs

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> MSI Wind officially unveiled
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | There will be a Novell Linux version and a Windows XP MSI Wind, similar
> | to how the Asus Eee. I do not know why MSI chose Novell Linux, seems a
> | bit odd.
> `----
>
> http://www.i4u.com/article17213.html
>
> Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

> | An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims
> | that manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices
> | ?have made some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to
> | put a stop to it.?

As a monopoly player, anything they do such as offering cash incentives
and kick backs in foreign countries to where the crimes are committed
amounts to market distortion and they should be fined tripple damages.

There is no reason why you or I have to forego our Linux UMPCs
so that micoshaft may live.

If Taiwanese, Korean and other manufacturers are being strong armed
by micoshaft, then they need to simultaneously file complaints in
all the market places where micoshaft operates.
Just the threat alone should be big enough for micoshaft
to yield many concessions such as removing DRM, allowing
their OS to be copied to allow faster repair, 100% virtualisation,
and GPL the source of code - at least for all the driver
and networking stuff.

Yup - hit them in their nuts where it hurts most.

And when the code is out in full GPL,
you can gradually migrate to Linux and drop micoshaft if they
misbehave. Misbehaviour like overcharging for licenses
and dropping support will become a thing of the past.

> http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/12
microsoft-worried-over-linux-ulpcs/1