[News] Top GNU/Linux or FOSS Projects for/from Google

The 2008 Google Summer of Code: 21 Projects I'm Excited About

,----[ Quote ]
| The annual Google Summer of Code is upon us again. For the uninformed, that’s
| when Google pays hundreds of students and hundreds of mentors to work on free
| software projects, ranging from AbiSource to Zumastor. This is where great
| projects like the GDebiKDE installer were created. And this year looks even
| better than before, with 175 organizations and 1125 students. So today, I’m
| going to do a short rundown of some of my favorites. I can’t fit them all in
| (let’s save some trees!), but these are just some that stood out for me.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/2008_google_summer_code_21_projects_im_excited_about

MIT students show power of open cell phone systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Massachusetts Institute of Technology professor Hal Abelson put that question
| to about 20 computer science students this semester when he gave them one
| assignment: Design a software program for cell phones that use Google Inc.'s
| upcoming Android mobile operating system.
`----

http://www.salon.com/wires/ap/scitech/2008/05/12/D90K8RQO0_android_class/index.html

Google Android winners shun publicity

,----[ Quote ]
| Google said on its site the four had "opted to continue their efforts in
| secret" meaning it couldn't list them with the rest of the winners. No doubt,
| the four are wary of "old friends" suddenly popping up and inviting them to
| their LinkedIn and Facebook profiles, along with their thousands of dollars.
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/05/13/android_first_round_winners/

Recent:

Google Summer of Code 2008 Takes 1,125 Developers

| or Google Summer of Code (SoC) 2008, Google is paying for 1,125 student
| developers, which is an increase from the 900 students the program took in
| 2007. Those students will work with 175 Free and Open Source Projects as
| mentors to  help improve and expand their development.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/04/google-summer-of-code-2008-tak.html

Announcing Freedom Summer of Code

,----[ Quote ]
| What is the Freedom Summer of Code?
|
| Modeled after the successful Google Summer of Code, the Freedom Summer of
| Code adds a radical social justice twist. We will be working with select tech
| activist organizations to generate interesting ideas as well as help people
| develop several projects over the next three months.
|
| The Freedom Summer of Code aims to advance critical movement technology
| projects and tools that benefit a wide-variety of radical social justice
| organizations and movements; inspire developers to become more interested in
| directly participating in social-justice tech organizations; contributes
| back, for the benefit of all, to the free software world which sustains us
| while simultaneously honoring individual’s labor; increases the social
| ownership and democratic control over information, ideas, technology, and the
| means of communication; empowers organizations and individuals to use
| technology in struggles for liberation. We are developing software that is
| geared specifically to the needs of network organizing and democratic
| collaboration, providing new services that greatly enhance your security and
| privacy.
`----

https://we.riseup.net/fsoc/announcing-freedom-summer-of-code

Google gains on Microsoft with hosted security offering

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9940721-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20