Re: [News] OpenSolaris verus Linux (and Why the GPLv3 is Important)

On 2008-05-11, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ____/ Tattoo Vampire on Sunday 11 May 2008 16:09 : \____
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> OSolaris is still a little chubby (Vista syndrome):
>>>
>>> OpenSolaris gets its wings ... but it requires a long, long time on the
>>> tarmac with 512 MB of RAM
>>
>> It ran fairly well here but I didn't see anything that would make me want to
>> move to it from Linux.
>
> They'll probably try to get into the storage and server space first (like
> Linux, which now leads in embedded and HPC). They have a good filesystem.

...that's funny considering that advanced filesystem features that came
bundled with the core OS in other commercial Unixen were always something
you had to get from a 3rd party for extra money in Solaris.

[deletia]

--
     If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of           |||
hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either.  / | \