[News] Linux 2.6.26 Reaches Second Release Candidate, Linux-next Coming

Linux 2.6.26-rc2

,----[ Quote ]
| About 45% architecture updates (counting the include files too), about 30%
| drivers, and about 25% odds-and-ends. The odds-and-ends are mainly
| Documentation, filesystems (mostly cifs) and core kernel (scheduler
| updates etc).
|
| The dirstat and shortlog is appended, because while not exactly tiny it
| should still fit easily in the lkml size limits. And if you read the
| shortlog and get the feeling that most of it is pretty boring small
| details, you'd be right. There is little exciting there.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/12/174

Time to slow down?

,----[ Quote ]
| The linux-next tree is an interesting experiment. It is, for all practical
| purposes, making the development cycle longer: since linux-next exists, the
| 2.6.27 cycle has, in some sense, already started. Linux-next also does
| something which kernel developers have tended to resist: causing the
| stabilization period for one development cycle to overlap with active
| development for the next cycle. In the past, it has been argued that this
| kind of overlap will cause developers to prioritize the creation of new toys
| over fixing the problems with last week's toys.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/051208-slow.html?page=3

"One person in Helsinki can quickly write the core of a sophisticated operating
system."

                                    --John Warden, lead attorney at Microsoft

Recent:

How to keep track of fast-changing Linux OS

,----[ Quote ]
| Change is inevitable, and how we deal with it defines us. In the Linux world
| change happens fast, probably faster than any other kernel in history. The
| Penguin is Evolving. How should we deal with this high-speed development?
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2008/02/14/43137/how-to-keep-track-of-fast-changing-linux-os.htm

'Linux Next' Begins To Take Shape

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux next started off as a 'dream' of kernel maintainer Andrew Morton who
| has noted that few kernel developers are testing other kernel developers'
| development code which is leading to some problems.
|
| Morton has proposed a "linux-next" tree that once per day would merge various
| Linux subsystem trees and then run compilation tests after applying each
| tree. While that may sound simple enough, in practice it's no small task.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/02/-linux-next-begins-to-take-sha.html

Tracking Upcoming Stable Merges

,----[ Quote ]
| "Andrew [Morton] was looking for someone to run a linux-next tree that just
| contained the subsystem git and quilt trees for 2.6.x+1 and I (in a moment of
| madness) volunteered. So, this is to announce the creating of such a tree,"
| began Stephen Rothwell, resulting in a lengthy thread discussing the current
| Linux kernel development process.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Tracking_Upcoming_Stable_Merges

Related:

Kernel Rate of Change

,----[ Quote ]
| "I re-ran some statistics the other day on our kernel development rate, and
| changed my formula after Andrew accused me of severely undercounting the rate
| of change," noted Greg KH during a discussion about the stability of the
| Linux kernel while undergoing significant changes.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Kernel_Rate_of_Change

The future of Linux: what it means for Wikipedia

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://apcmag.com/7924/the_future_of_the_linux_kernel_and_what_it_tells_us_about_wikipedia