[News] [Rival] DCI Another Microsoft Shill Group & Astroturfer

Douglas M. Goodyear and the DCI Microsoft connection

,----[ Quote ]
| In Europe DCI runs a network of think tanks and it took responsibility for
| the weird journo-lobbying website TechCentralStation that spread hate
| propaganda against the French government, the EU, Muslims and also issued
| offensive slanderous communication against the FFII, the community that backs
| <no>OOXML and sided against Microsoft in its EU software patents lobby
| campaign.
|
| [...]
|
| DCI's many clients over the years have included General Motors, Exxon Mobil,
| Verizon and Morgan Stanley, according to federal disclosure forms. The firm
| is expert in targeting voters and persuading them to contact their elected
| officials, a mechanism called grass-roots lobbying. But it has also lobbied
| lawmakers directly and has registered to lobby for a long list of clients at
| the federal level.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-59046/douglas-m-goodyear-and-the-dci-microsoft-connection

Piece by piece, the way Mafiasoft operates will be further exposed. Thanks to
the Internet.

Microsoft is a political phenomenon. It's hardly about technology these days.

Related:

Dual_EC_DRBG Added to Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has added the random-number generator Dual_EC-DRBG to Windows
| Vista, as part of SP1. Yes, this is the same RNG that could have an NSA
| backdoor.
|
| It's not enabled by default, and my advice is to never enable it. Ever.
`----

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2007/12/dual_ec_drbg_ad.html

Microsoft confirms that XP contains random number generator bug

,----[ Quote ]
| As recently as last Friday, Microsoft hedged in answering questions about
| whether XP and Vista could be attacked in the same way, saying only that
| later versions of Windows "contain various changes and enhancements to the
| random number generator."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9048438&intsrc=hm_list

Recent:

Change of the guard

,----[ Quote ]
| You don't have to convince press speakers and hired guns. But can you imagine
| that Jan 'the answer is always the same, you are well paid, shut up' van den
| Belt was hired for the comptia lobby after leaving as an ecma international
| general secretary? What an upgrade for the person to which the ISO jtc1
| rewrite was dedicated. Will standards people also let his collegue Mr.
| Lueders rewrite the essentials of international standardisation? Or could the
| Dutch nihilist provide some technical assistance? Fast-track Lueders
| interpretations to the ISO directives?
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-58027/change-of-the-guard

Embrace the Reality and Logic of Choice

,----[ Quote ]
| Another neo-colonialist press release from Microsoft's CompTIA lobbying arm,
| this time inveighing against South Africa's adoption of ODF as a national
| standard. One way to point out the absurdity of their logic is to replace the
| reference to ODF with references to any other useful standard that a
| government might adopt, like electrical standards.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/04/embrace-reality-and-logic-of-choice.html

Multiple Standards according to ECMA

,----[ Quote ]
| On a Microsoft event in Portugal, called TechDays 2008, ex-ECMA and now
| CompTIA (Microsoft lobbyst group) member, Jan van den Beld explains how
| multiple standards come to be on ECMA
|
| [...]
|
| What does Jan van den Beld - former Secretary General of ECMA - have to say
| about multiple standards? He seems to be puzzled himself!
|
| Quote from his presentation:
|
| Q: Why do you want to have 5 [DVD related] formats? Do you still call that
| standardization?
| A: You are well paid. Shut up
|
| Check out the video at 4:10 and amaze yourself!
|
| This was on Microsoft Techdays 2008, in Portugal.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-49659/multiple-standards-according-to-ecma

The commercial value of ISO privileged access

,----[ Quote ]
| Jan van den Beld 'sents love letters' to the ISO system and leaches out
| against parties who want to appeal.
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-50865/the-commercial-value-of-iso-privileged-access

Return of the Living Dead - Brainless Attack on MoSTI - Part Deux!!!

,----[ Quote ]
| I dont know what the attraction is, but somehow we all love the morbid
| fascination of Zombies in action. First, Microsoft^H^H^H^H^HCompTIA hires Mr
| Jan van der Beld, Ex-Ecma Secretary General, to fly all the way here in KL,
| for an event supposedly about "good multiple standards".  There he challenges
| us to find a better way to Fast Track large, immature vendor dependent
| specifications. The answer is of course: "Don't do it." Later on that same
| day, like a man possessed, he turns up at a PIKOM meeting only to rant and
| thump tables.
|
| Then today, in our fantastic broadsheet turned tabloid "The New Straits
| Times" features a "Comment" by our so called "cooler head" Datuk Dr Mohd
| Ariffin Aton entitled "Walking the Talk on neutrality policy". If you've
| forgotten about him, you may be forgiven, but he is or rather WAS the CEO if
| SIRIM Bhd.
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/03/return-of-the-l.html

Former ECMA Sec. Gen challenges ISO/BRM critics to create a better process

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1518565063