Re: [News] [Rival] Windows XP SP3 is a Mess, Microsoft Loses Software Power

> People like Joe Wilcox of Microsoft Watch say they are afraid of
> system updates.

Not that I've ever trusted Microsoft, but at least I always used to
/assume/ that /updates/ meant exactly that, *up*dates, not *down*grades.
However, just like Joe Wilcox, I no longer trust these supposed updates
any more, to the point that I simply don't deploy /any/ so-called
updates that come from Microsoft now ... at all ... ever.

In fact, as I've said before, I've completely disabled WUS and BITS
(Windows Update Service and Background Intelligent Transfer Service),
which is the only way of ensuring that my two (dual boot) XP systems
don't get b0rked by updates ... including those /stealth/ updates that
simply ignore your automatic updates preferences:

http://slated.org/windows_by_stealth_the_updates_you_dont_want

The irony is that now many people will refuse to apply updates, some of
which will be necessary to fix Windows' *many* security vulnerabilities.

Some choice, eh? Allow Windows Update to make your system unusable, or
keep a working system that gets hacked into a Botnet.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft Slopware.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|     ~ Cory Doctorow, The Guardian.  http://tinyurl.com/22bgx8

 12:18:20 up 143 days,  8:54,  6 users,  load average: 4.80, 4.58, 4.58