[News] Early Expectations from This October's Ubuntu Release (8.10)

What to expect from Ubuntu 8.10

,----[ Quote ]
| Also on the desktop, the timing is right for OpenOffice.org version 3.0 to be
| included in the Intrepid release so long as the planned September release
| date for OpenOffice is met. OpenOffice 3.0 includes a number of new features,
| from better document support to spreadsheet collaboration, that will make it
| a more compelling office suite.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2410

Why we love Ubuntu Linux (or maybe we don't)

,----[ Quote ]
| With Ubuntu 8.04 now on the streets, it’s time to catch a breather and
| reflect on just why Ubuntu gets all the hype. Why is Ubuntu the hottest brand
| in Linuxdom at this time? Why is it the distro most frequently advocated? I
| posed these questions to readers and LUG members; here’s the feedback from
| real-life Linux users.
|
| [...]
|
| Tim agrees; “I have to say that I love Ubuntu. People often talk about MS
| [Microsoft] – the computer disease, not the physical one – being able to be
| used ‘out of the box.’ I can seriously say that Ubuntu finds most of my
| hardware straight up, more than Windows ever did.”
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18160/1141/

Recent:

Ubuntu Linux 8.10

,----[ Quote ]
| With the release of Ubuntu Hardy Heron now behind us most eyes are turned to
| October when Intrepid Ibex, or Ubuntu Linux 8.10, will make its debut. While
| Hardy Heron was designed to be stable enough to be a long-term support
| release, Intrepid Ibex promises to be packed with more exciting features.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/3749.html

Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ7_iN1SxJ.c&refer=worldwide