Re: Linux newsreaders

____/ Gregory Shearman on Sunday 11 May 2008 08:09 : \____

> On 2008-05-11, Bill Baker <wbaker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sunday 11 May 2008 01:27 am Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote in message news:<3782215.dMX73FMGW3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>...
>>
>>> ____/ Bill Baker on Saturday 10 May 2008 23:33 : \____

>>> It's not really a bug.
>>
>> OK, an enhancement request, then.
>>
>>> I saw this mentioned a couple of years ago. It's a design choice.
>>
>> Very poor choice, in my opinion.  I wouldn't even have a problem with them
>> making it the default behavior if they'd at least let us turn it off in the
>> options.  KNode only warns you if your signature is too long.  If they made
>> it consistent with the follow-up behavior, they would snip your signature
>> to four lines without warning.
>>
>>> You could just compile KNode with the changes you require (I thought about
>>> doing this myself for various tweaks and hacks that improve efficiency,
>>> e.g. "sign by default" or prepend "News" to subject line).
>>>
>>> KNode took me several years to master in the sense that all the features
>>> are used. It's more powerful than it seems at first glance.
>>
>> But that's my point.  It shouldn't take "several years" or a compile of the
>> source code.  Not all of us are programmers, we just want a program that
>> works well enough the first time.  Windows programmers can manage to build
>> excellent newsreaders like XNews and Forte.  Why can't Linux programmers do
>> the same?
>>
>> Sorry if it seems like I'm ranting against Linux programs.  Most of them are
>> far superior to the Windows alternatives, and there are some where the
>> Windows equivalent just doesn't measure up.  It's just that given that, I
>> feel I'm justified in being frustrated at the extremely sparse offerings
>> they give us for newsreaders.
>>

> Actually, I found your rant rather trivial.
>
> I've used all of the newsreaders you griped about and find slrn and
> knode to be the easiest to use. Yes, the crossposting followup thing is
> annoying in knode. SLRN does it so much better.

It annoys me too BTW. I've developed the habit of watching the headers and
rechecking before posting.

The reason for this is netiquette, I suspect. KNode warns if you crosspost
widely (wildly) and probably crashes only if you are Gary Stewart. I've run
KNode for months without a single glitch.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "The speed of time is one second per second"
 18:05:01 up 26 days, 16:17,  4 users,  load average: 0.18, 0.55, 0.91