[News] Good Reviews of Mandriva 2008.1 Spring and PCLinuxOS

The Simply Simple Mandriva 2008.1 Spring

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva has improved since its previous release. With 6th position at
| distrowatch.com, its community and popularity is increasing. I consider
| Mandriva Linux as a very good desktop operating system for beginners and
| power users. After you play around with Mandriva, you will found it the
| easiest Linux Desktop.
`----

http://linuxtreat.blogspot.com/2008/05/simply-simple-mandriva-20081-spring.html

A Look at PCLinuxOS

,----[ Quote ]
| The installation went very smoothly. I chose to set up an 8 GB partition for
| PCLinuxOS. The wizard shrunk my Windows data partition which I had as D:
| drive (it let me choose between my C: and my D: drives). Then, it created and
| formatted the newly-freed space to be my new Linux partition.
|
| I was also able to choose which of the Linux boot manager programs I wanted
| to use — GRUB or LILO. I chose LILO, since I've had more experience with it.
|
| Now, when I boot my computer, the first thing that comes up is the LILO boot
| menu, which lets me choose between booting PCLinuxOS and booting Windows XP
| Professional.
|
| [...]
|
| PCLinuxOS was amazing and blazing running from memory on my notebook (a
| three-year-old 1.7GHz Pentium M). After using it for a couple hours, I took
| the plunge...
`----

http://tips-tricks-online.blogspot.com/2008/05/look-at-pclinuxos.html

Recent:

Mandriva on a Low cost notebook : Kira

,----[ Quote ]
| Many people are talking about the Asus Eee PC : low cost, tiny, and for
| the "geeks", running Linux. Mandriva 2008 Spring is compatible out of the box
| with Asus Eee PC. However a new low cost PC is appearing, done by a spanish
| company : AIRIS KIRA. This notebbok is low cost ( 299 € ), and last but no
| least : is running Mandriva Linux !
`----

http://www.linux-wizard.net/index.php?id_blog=202

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Mandriva Tailors Linux For Budget PC Market

,----[ Quote ]
| Mandriva says Linux 2008 Spring works out of the box on the Eee PC.
|
| Low-cost PCs from Asus, Everex, and other manufacturers are becoming
| increasingly popular as some computers user conclude that mainstream systems
| running the Windows or Macintosh operating systems are overpowered for their
| needs.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207200374

Related:

Linux wins Nigerian school desktops back from Microsoft [after alleged
Microsoft bribery]

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/management/government-law/public-sector/news/index.cfm?newsid=6124