[News] German MMORPG Engine Released as Open-Source; Germant's Open Source in Land Management

  • Subject: [News] German MMORPG Engine Released as Open-Source; Germant's Open Source in Land Management
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 06:58:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

New open-source MMORPG engine released

,----[ Quote ]
| Germany developer TalentRaspel has launched the latest version of the
| open-source Torque MMO kit.
`----

http://www.developmag.com/news/29777/New-open-source-MMORPG-engine-released

Open source IT surveyed

,----[ Quote ]
| INFORMATION technology can protect the integrity of democratic processes
| delegates at a United Nations-sponsored seminar on land management heard
| yesterday.
|
| [...]
|
| Although the system was used in some developed nations such as the Bavarian
| states, in southern Germany, where state policy dictates local government use
| open sourced software it would gain momentum if developing nations ‘‘found a
| champion’’ country to implement the scheme, he said.
`----

http://www.odt.co.nz/article.php?refid=2008,05,10,4,00400,80a0df3093c072b2678ee10e5076f6be&sect=1

It's worth noting that Bavaria almost forbids proprietary software. This
appears in the German-speaking press, but goes under the radar elsewhere.

Recent:

Navy to focus only on open systems

,----[ Quote ]
| "The days of proprietary technology must come to an end," [Vice Admiral Mark
| Edwards, deputy chief of naval operations for communications] said. "We will
| no longer accept systems that couple hardware, software and data."
`----

http://www.fcw.com/online/news/151858-1.html

City of Munich and German Federal Foreign Office start collaboration

| According to this German article, the City of Munich and the German Federal
| Foreign Office have started to collaborate on the implementation of their
| open source and open standards strategies. I would not be surprised if other
| organizations decided to join the "alliance" as well. Anyway, very cool to
| see government organizations collaborate regarding the usage of open source
| and open standards.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/city_of_munich_and_german

The German Plan for Open Standards

,----[ Quote ]
| The SAGA 4.0 document itself (PDF, 2.4 MB) states on page 114 that the Open
| Document Format (ODF) version 1.0 is a "Recommended" standard...
|
| [...]
|
| And it continues with stating PDF 1.4 as a mandatory standard (PDF 1.5 is a
| recommended standard, PDF 1.6 is a standard under observation).
|
| What are "Recommended" standards, "Mandatory" standards and standards "Under
| Observation"? Page 20 and page 21 explain the designations in full...
`----

http://www.openmalaysiablog.com/2008/03/the-german-plan.html

DE: One fifth of Freiburg city council migrated to OpenOffice

,----[ Quote ]
| In the German city of Freiburg, four hundred  of the two thousand PCs used by
| the city council are now running OpenOffice.
|
| The migration to the Open Source suite of office applications is a
| intermediate goal, saving the city up to half a million euro in licence
| costs. The city's final aim is to switch to an Open Source desktop.
|
| The council began its office application migration last July, when it decided
| to use the ISO-approved Open Document Format (ODF) as a document standard.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7538

Germany upgrades ODF to "recommended"

,----[ Quote ]
| The new version 4.0 of the document "Standards and Architectures for
| eGovernment Applications" (SAGA) by the German Ministry of the Interior now
| recommends ODF for text documents.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/germany_upgrades_odf_to_recommended

German county adopts OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this German article, the German county "Friesland" is adoption
| open source including OpenOffice.org. OpenOffice.org will be installed on the
| majority of the client systems.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/german_county_adopts_openoffice_org

German ERP software vendor adds OpenOffice.org support

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/german_erp_software_vendor_adds

German portfolio analysis software supports OpenOffice.org

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/german_portfolio_analysis_software_supports

German penal institutions looking into OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| It looks like that OpenOffice.org is also being used in areas where many of
| us don't expect it, or wouldn't research for. I have reports that some German
| penal institutions are looking into OpenOffice.org for their daily office
| work.
`----

http://ooomarketing.blogspot.com/2008/02/german-penal-institutions-looking-into.html

[German] Federal Employment Office switches to Linux

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102218

Mayor of Munich opposes OOXML being made a Standard (German)

,----[ Quote ]
| Munich's mayor Christian Ude says in a letter to the Federal Minister for
| Economics and Technology, Michael Glos, he thinks there should be a
| clear "no" to the standardization of OOXML. The German Institute for
| Standardization (DIN) is currently evaluating how to vote in the ISO
| standardisation procedure. All the city needs, Ude indicates, is OpenDocument
| Format (ODF), already an ISO standard, and he believes competition is
| weakened by a competiting standards....
`----

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/Muenchner-Oberbuergermeister-lehnt-ISO-Standardisierung-von-OOXML-ab--/meldung/105074
http://www.groklaw.net/newsitems.php

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/10/member-eu-parliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/106338/from/rss09

DE: German Foreign Ministry will not use ISO OOXML

,----[ Quote ]
| In the weeks prior to the second round of votes last September,
| irregularities were reported in the standard committees in many participating
| countries. These claims  continued until after the final discussion, in
| February and March this year.
|
| The European Commission has started an investigation into the allegations.
| The Commission sent a letter to all EU national standards committees in
| Europe, requesting information about the process. Sources at the Commission
| declined to comment, as the investigation is on-going and no official
| position has yet been adopted.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7561

199 Euro laptop with OpenOffice.org pre-installed

,----[ Quote ]
| I just found about this offer in Germany. A vendor called "one" is selling a
| low-cost laptop with Linux and OpenOffice.org pre-installed for 199 Euro.
| This special offer lasts until May 12th according to the website. Cool to see
| more and more hardware vendors bundle OpenOffice.org!
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/199_euro_laptop_with_openoffice

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565