Suppressing in Government... and in Linux Derivatives

White House opposition likely dooms anti-China Internet bill

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this week we told you about the Bush administration opposing a bill
| that would slap extensive regulations on technology companies doing business
| in China and other nations deemed to be unreasonably "Internet-restricting."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-9956124-38.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

The dark side of Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| In the Free Software world, well, we are quite used to enjoy freedom. For
| example, we do the arguable thing of having a big number of different
| distributions, FLOSS licenses, desktop solutions or software applications.
| Sometimes this is positive, they compete, they learn from each other and they
| try different approaches. It makes things work better.
|
| However, sometimes we have no clue of how to use our freedom, really. Or even
| worse, we use it to actually limit it.
`----

http://zugaldia.wordpress.com/2008/05/30/the-dark-side-of-ubuntu/

Related::

Yahoo!, Microsoft ink web pact with Chinese government

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft and Yahoo! have signed a pact with the Chinese government
| that "encourages" the big name web players to record the identities of
| bloggers and censor content. So says Reporters Without Borders, an
| organization that fights for journalistic rights across the globe.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/yahoo_and_microsoft_ink_chinese_blogging_pact/

Chinese Internet dissident committed to mental hospital

,----[ Quote ]
| "It is not acceptable that Chinese authorities use such methods to silence
| citizens who have merely peacefully voiced their opinions", expressed the
| organisation in an announcement. Apparently authorities have not abandoned
| the practice of punishing those who have exposed the abuse of power and
| defied censorship by compulsorily committing them to mental institutions.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/94864/from/rss09

Is Microsoft tinkering with Live Search results?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1127