[News] CIO Survey Shows Growth of Free Software in the Enterprise

Open Source is Entering the Enterprise Mainstream, Survey Shows

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source solutions used to be adopted quietly by company boffins who snuck
| in an Apache Web server or an open-source development tool suite under the
| philosophy "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission" (not to
| mention "It's easier to do it with open-source tools than to get an IT
| budget").
|
| That's no longer the case, according to a survey of IT and business
| executives and managers, conducted in late April 2008 by CIO.com. The survey,
| collecting data from 328 respondents, showed that more than half the
| respondents (53 percent) are using open-source applications in their
| organization today, and an additional 10 percent plan to do so in the next
| year. For nearly half, 44 percent, open-source applications are considered
| equally with proprietary solutions during the acquisition process.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/375916/Open_Source_is_Entering_the_Enterprise_Mainstream_Survey_Shows

Open Source CEO Shoot-Out at CIO Magazine

,----[ Quote ]
| Esther Schindler of CIO Magazine is hosting an executive online briefing on
| Open Source in the Enterprise. She has invited me and a number of much more
| famous CEOs to sound off on a variety of enterprise open source and Web 2.0
| topics over the next week.
`----

http://www.keeneview.com/2008/05/open-source-ceo-shoot-out-at-cio.html

Recent:

Enterprises grow more savvy over open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source icon Stormy Peters is co-founder of the non-profit GNOME
| Foundation and director of community and partner programs for OpenLogic.
| Peters recently discussed why enterprises don't know how much open source
| software they use, how newbies and non-programmers can become involved in the
| movement and why she thinks open source software is more secure than
| proprietary code.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;593462582

Related:

Study: Developers Favor Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| "Regardless of what kind of developer you are, you're still trying to
| make a living, and target the operating system that?s controlling the
| market."
|
| However, in the most recent survey, the developers' forecast of their
| target platform has changed. For the first time, these developers said
| that in the next 12 to 18 months they expect to be developing more Linux
| apps than Windows apps.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3645766

Survey: Emerging Market Developers Rush to Open-Source Software

,----[ Quote ]