Re: [News] Another Big Linux Win: Linux on Asus Laptop Boards

____/ 7 on Friday 30 May 2008 20:58 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Splashtop Linux conquers Asus laptops
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | It's a small step for an operating system, perhaps, but it could be
>> | another giant leap for Linux. DeviceVM has announced that its Splashtop
>> | 'instant-on' Linux is to appear on Asus laptops from this summer.
>> |
>> | The news follows the DeviceVM's recent coup of persuading the
>> | influential Taiwanese PC company to embed Splashtop - which Asus calls
>> | 'Express Gate' - on all its motherboards, out of the blue putting a type
>> | of Linux in millions of mainstream computers for the first time.
>> `----
>>
>> http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=352498F7-17A4-0F78-31339E4889EF36A6
>>
>> Asus to launch laptops with instant-on feature
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Five new laptop models from Asus will incorporate DeviceVM's Splashtop
>> | instant-on software, the computer maker said Thursday at the Computex
>> | show in Taipei, Taiwan.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9954282-2.html
>
> Interesting Ausus grabbing all the headlines with run away success of Linux
> on laptops and motherboards.
>
> Other taiwan manufacturers must somehow be shackled by micoshaft into not
> going the same competitive route.
>
> They should get together en-masse to discuss the micoshaft situation between
> them and take micoshaft to court for anti-trust violations AGAIN.
>
> I'm sure there is more here than meets the eye.

Asus has been _all over_ the news since they started working on Eee PC (Linux)
and then some projects like SplashTop. They were barely visible before that
(in the 'trade journals').

It's a headache to some American companies, whose 'knowledge workers' (read:
those exploiting modern-age slavery in $1/hour chip-sweat shops located in the
east) have to reassess margins.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open windows.
                                                 ~Linus Torvalds
Mem:    515500k total,   445360k used,    70140k free,     2804k buffers