[News] Moving Beyond OOXML to ODF and OpenOffice.org

Open standards

,----[ Quote ]
| Thomas is part of the legal team representing some companies in the EU
| against Microsoft.
| The bit in the interview that caught my attention was the following quote:
|     We filed our complaint with the Commission last February, over
|     Microsoft's refusal to disclose their Office file formats (.doc, .xls,
|     and .ppt), so it could be fully compatible and interoperable with others'
|     software, like Linux. We also had concerns with their collaboration
|     software with XP, e-mail software, and OS server software and some media
|     server software with their existing products. They use their vast
|     resources to delay things as long as possible and to wear people down so
|     they'll give up.
|
| [...]
|
| What is worse is that even if people manage to stop OOXML from becoming an
| ISO standard it will be an ephemeral victory.
| We need to recognize that this is the problem. Instead of trying to bury
| OOXML, which amounts to covering the sun with your finger.
| We need to make sure that OpenOffice.org can thrive on its technical grounds.
`----

http://svg.org/story/2008/5/29/132555/491

OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta and Extensions Show Strong Momentum;

,----[ Quote ]
| Advanced Integration of OpenOffice.org with Apple VoiceOver, ODF Editing is
| Now Accessible on All Key Desktop Platforms; More Than 100 Extensions
| Available for OpenOffice.org
`----

http://www.prweb.com/releases/openoffice/extension/prweb982754.htm

Microsoft Admits Being Half-Open Doesn't Work

,----[ Quote ]
| Telling people what is going on isn't a problem for GNU/Linux, of course,
| because the entire process is conducted out in the open. If
| information “changes”, people know about it the second that change becomes
| apparent – not “later”.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=847&blogid=14

This is about vapourware, either the ODF 'support' announcement or Windows
7apourware mockups/demos. Microsoft talks about a mythical future, FOSS talks
about what's available /today/.

Days ago:

CSIR to switch 2300 users to Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Parastal CSIR, South Africa’s national science and technology research
| organisation, is readying to switch most of its more than 2300 staff to using
| Ubuntu Linux as their default desktop
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2448

German Federal Office for Information Security (BSI) Deploys StarOffice [and
Debian GNU/Linux]

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/german_federal_office_for_information