[News] Why Microsoft is (by Yesterday's Admission) Afraid of Free Software

Ray Ozzie is afraid of open source, but why?

,----[ Quote ]
| So why is open source potentially so disruptive to Microsoft? Two reasons.
|
| First, open source is providing a robust, free foundation upon which
| Microsoft's biggest future competitors are building. Google, Yahoo, Facebook,
| etc. are all children of open source. Without open source, they are arguably
| not nearly as viable as businesses because they would lose both flexibility
| and funding in and to their infrastructure.
|
| Second, open source changes the way customers expect value to be delivered in
| software and drops the start-up cost to $0.00. Microsoft has, in part, pushed
| so hard to set up patent toll booths to open source to raise this price tag
| above $0.00. Microsoft can compete with $0.10. It has yet to figure out how
| to compete with free, the tool that helped it to kill Netscape.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9954151-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft.

So afraid of Linux that it's trolling Linux newsgroups. Like the criminal that
it has always been.

| "Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes associated with mental
| deficiency, as in, "he believes in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2."
| Just keep rubbing it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever. Make
|      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^                           ^^^^^^^^^^
| the complete failure of the competition's technology part of the mythology of
| the computer industry. We want to place selection pressure on those companies
| and individuals that show a genetic weakness for competitors' technologies,
| to make the industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains, over
| time."
`----

                                --- Microsoft, internal document
                                http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf