[News] Hospital Dumps Microsoft Exchange for GNU/Linux

Microsoft Exchange dumped for Linux-based clone

,----[ Quote ]
| After conducting an evaluation of alternatives, the hospital decided not to
| upgrade to a newer version of Exchange. Instead, it went with a  Linux-based
| Exchange clone that it felt could meet the needs of its 700 users without
| forcing them and IT to learn a whole new system.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/052808-microsoft-exchange-linux-clone.html

Hospitals that use Windows ought to be avoided. With ~40% of all Windows PCs
being zombies, who can you trust? What about your personal medical records?
There were stories in the press about entire hospitals becoming botnets.

Related:

Hospital software vendor McKesson uses Linux to heal IT budgets

,----[ Quote ]
| At first, convincing hospital executives to go with McKesson's Linux-based
| applications was difficult because of fears that Linux wouldn't be as
| reliable as Unix, which had been in their IT shops for years, Simpson
| said. "It took some time for them to understand that open source is safe,
| that open source has support," he added.
|
| The deal with Red Hat "really kicked the program into gear," he said,
| allowing McKesson to offer its software with Red Hat Enterprise Linux in a
| top-to-bottom package for mission-critical hospital IT systems.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9052142&intsrc=hm_list

Linux in Healthcare

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux in healthcare is a tale of things seen and unseen. Linux/Open
| Source have enjoyed tremendous popularity in embedded systems and
| networks for major technologies used in healthcare that healthcare
| providers may not even be aware of.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/3215/

Leading Hospital Relies on Red Hat Solutions for Improved Reliability and
Patient Care

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux now runs on 40 BIDMC servers, 11 of which are
| installed in a Red Hat Enterprise Linux Cluster that hosts Intersystems Cache
| and the hospital's proprietary Triple A applications, those that are most
| mission-critical for patients.
`----

http://www.centredaily.com/business/technology/story/393977.html

Florida Hospital Enhances IT Performance and Patient Care with Red Hat
Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| Florida Hospital, ranked in US News and World Report magazine as one
| of “America’s Best Hospitals” for the past six consecutive years, has seven
| facilities totalling 2,300 beds throughout Central Florida and is part of the
| Adventist Healthcare system, the largest not-for-profit healthcare provider
| in the nation.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080310/20080310005264.html?.v=1

The OSS Cure for What Ails Hospital IT