Re: [News] Asustek's GNU/Linux Desktops Are Coming Next Week

"Hadron" <hadronquark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:g1h327$828$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Asus to release desktop Eee PC on June 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this year, riding high on the success of its ultra-portable Eee PC, | Asus revealed plans to launch a whole family of Eee products including a
| small form-factor desktop machine dubbed the E-DT.
`----

http://www.techspot.com/news/30191-asus-to-release-desktop-eee-pc-on-june-3.html

Linux only. Then, there are all those motherboards with Linux on them. Over ten
million to be sold per year!

<snip including some illiterate craptext>

That's interesting, and it's encouraging.  However.  I'd buy a laptop
because I cannot integrate a system as nicely as a well done
laptop is made.  However, for a desktop, I buy generic parts (and
probably use an old-looking box).  Thus I get utility that does not
look valuable, a wise provision these days.  And by using generic
parts (and boards and power supply) I don't get tripped up by a
manufacturer's clever vendor lockin provisions.  So generalizing
from my own experience, I wonder if Asus can do as well in the
desktop market as in the laptop market?

Anyhow, more Linux from Asus can only be good.  I'm about to
make up a new machine, and I'll be looking for an Asus
motherboard.

Titeotwawki -- mha [comp.os.linux.advocacy 2008 May 27]