[News] Urinating on a Violin: Microsoft OOXML and Mono

How to urinate on a violin

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end, this will have been a tremendous waste of time. I’m sure that
| Microsoft will try to gain some advantage from OOXML, as broken as it is.
| They could try to reproduce what they managed to do with .NET and CLR by
| standardizing and opening only a subset of the .Net API , thus letting Novell
| create a very limited .Net implementation, Mono. Regardless of what the
| future options could be, the OOXML standardization will prove to be the
| single most destructive episode of the standardization history. No other
| standard will have been paid so dearly to achieve so few, while in the real
| world, the unspecified file format called OOXML and used by Microsoft Office
| 2007 will continue to lock in generations of users; Sharepoint will not stop
| using OOXML, as Matt Asay points out. All this, to put it to rest, begs one
| and final comment, led to nothing more than what we had start off with: a
| real open standard (ODF), a proprietary format, and the vague premise of an
| ISO standard. Urinating on a violin would not have taken us any further.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2008/05/23/how-to-urinate-on-a-violin/

Operation OOXML, Part 7 x 10512: The Appeals Arrive

,----[ Quote ]
| As ever, the white knights at Groklaw have a breakdown of the appeal, and
| will be keeping up to date with any other appeals that materialize. The
| deadline for countries to file — listen up standards bodies — is Thursday the
| 29th.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/operation-ooxml-part-7-x-10sup512sup-appeals-arrive

Call your national standards body now and ask them to join the appeal.

Recent:

Microsoft OOXML: Dead Format Walking

,----[ Quote ]
| Since most Office users would be happy to continue using Microsoft's old
| binary formats, and since those for whom open standards are important would
| probably prefer ODF or PDF formats anyhow, I won't be surprised if OOXML
| quietly dies before that future Office iteration ever sees the light of day.
`----

http://blogs.eweek.com/brooks/content/office/microsoft_ooxml_dead_format_walking.html

Should We Fear the (Redmond) Geeks Bearing Gifts?

,----[ Quote ]
| As well as this unexpected backing, proponents of ODF should also find their
| hand strengthened once OpenOffice.org 3.0 appears. By all accounts it's a
| good step up from version 2.0, and that was markedly better than 1.0.
| All-in-all, then, things are looking up for open source office suites in
| enterprises: now might be a good time to go on the offensive.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?RSS&entryid=815

Microsoft's ODF Policy Gets Skeptical Reception From EU

,----[ Quote ]
| Little sooner had Microsoft announced upcoming Office support for the Open
| Document Format than the European Commission countered that it will
| investigate to make sure such a measure actually ensures greater consumer
| choice. Microsoft's Office 2007 will support ODF once the suite's Service
| Pack 2 comes along. It's expected in the first half of 2009.

Microsoft's embrace of ODF cautiously welcomed

,----[ Quote ]
| A looming concern is if Microsoft's implementation of ODF within Office will
| handle documents with the same or better performance as competing suites.
| Microsoft has been criticized for embracing a particular standard but using
| subtle means within its software to subvert it.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1038591799&rid=-50

All eyes on how Microsoft pulls off ODF support

,----[ Quote ]
| European Commission, weary of dealing with Microsoft, will put the software
| giant under the microscope
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1748725720&rid=-50

EU to investigate Microsoft file format support.

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9950148-7.html