[News] Microsoft Warns About Lowering Margins, Free Software Among Causes

Bringing down software margins with the cloud and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft expects to lose margin as "cloud" competitors start to eat away at
| its core businesses. Kudos to Microsoft for calling out the obvious.
|
| [...]
|
| Put more bluntly, there's not a chance in Hades that Microsoft will be able
| to charge more for its cloud-based offerings, not when its competitors are
| using the cloud to pummel its desktop and server-based offerings. This is
| something that Microsoft (and everyone else) is simply going to have to get
| used to: The go-go days of outrageous (software) margins are over. Done.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9952036-16.html

Microsoft warned its investors that FOSS and Linux would reduce its margins
(see below). The clouds are also here to thrive.

Wanted: Virtualization Coders

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146234/wanted_virtualization_coders_.html

| To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
| of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
| our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline.
`----

http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

Microsoft sees slide in profits

Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
| percent and revenue from its online advertising unit came in at the low end
| of its projections. Microsoft's report contrasted with positive comments from
| chipmaker Intel Corp. and computer company International Business Machines
| Corp.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft declined $1.60 to $30.20 in extended trading after closing at
| $31.80 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The stock has
| fallen 11 percent this year.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ7_iN1SxJ.c&refer=worldwide

Is Microsoft Aura Fading?

,----[ Quote ]
| Yesterday's early relief rally reversed, and Microsoft's value has now fallen
| by more than $30 billion since it unveiled its bid for Yahoo on February 1.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121004447596669953.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Microsoft says to borrow money for Yahoo deal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyNews/idUSN0455692920080205