[News] Comparison and Reviews of Lightweight GNU/Linux Distributions

Review: Lightweight Linux distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| Conclusion
|
| First of all it has to be clear that there's a difference
| between “lightweight” and “lightweight”. Especially Damn Small Linux is very
| lightweight, but also it's not really usable on “more recent” systems. It
| think DSL is perfect for 486 or Pentium1-based systems but nothing more.
| At the other side there are Zenwalk and Xubuntu which are pretty most heavy
| lightweight distributions. I think the use of Xfce has something to do with
| that. All the others are floating between those two extremes.
|
| If I have to rank the different distributions according to speed,
| user-friendliness,
| hardware detection, default theme, how I feel about it,.... I come to this
| conclusion:
|
|    1. TinyMe
|    2. ZenWalk
|    3. Puppy
|    4. XUbuntu
|    5. Arch
|    6. DSL
`----

http://www.abzone.be/Review001_p001

Linux up that Laptop!

,----[ Quote ]
| I discovered in the various Puppy Linux options that you can very easily
| remaster (create your own) Puppy linux. What the heck? So I ran the program
| followed the instructions and now have a version that has the wallpapers I
| want and the documents I want already running from the livecd/installation
| cd. So, if I want to install this to another computer that I put together, I
| can now start with my own files already on the disk ready to install. Oh,
| also, I was playing with this newly created installation cd of mine on my
| main computer, the one that is running on a wireless cantenna and an internal
| pci card from within the enclosed garage. Would it find my wireless? I just
| right clicked to bring up the menu, ran the "Xautoconnect to wireless
| network." Sure enough, out of the box!, Puppy linux found my wireless device.
| So then I ran "Pwireless wireless scanner." It found my Network, just like
| that. That never happens with Linux, or Windows for that matter! Awesome!
`----

http://web4everyone.blogspot.com/2008/05/linux-up-that-laptop.html

TinyMe 2008 | Small but Robust

,----[ Quote ]
| Tinyme is simply amazing and radically simple.
`----

http://saleem-khan.blogspot.com/2008/05/tinyme-2008-small-but-robust.html

Recent:

Why I can't get a new laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| It's all Linux's fault.
|
| [...]
|
| So, because of Linux, I don't need a new laptop and I'm not letting myself
| get one. I didn't install Ubuntu for that reason; I did it because I was
| switching over to Linux completely, on principle, rather than buy into Vista
| in all its unscrupulous, bug-ridden glory. Saving money on upgrades is an
| unexpected side effect. And I have to say it's not altogether welcome. It's
| good for me to be more frugal, but damn, it's frustrating to keep my wallet
| in my pocket when these shiny new toys are so tempting.
`----

http://www.dwasifar.com/2008/04/why-i-cant-get-new-laptop.html

Old laptop and Mepis 7.0: very nice indeed :)

,----[ Quote ]
| This is my note for Mepis 7.0 installed on my old-linux-friendly laptop :)
| (it's Toshiba Tecra 8200 PIII, more here).
`----

http://seputarlinux.blogspot.com/2008/04/old-laptop-and-mepis-70-very-nice.html

Recent:

Life after cyber-death

,----[ Quote ]
| But thanks to improvements in desktop versions of Linux, we can now do
| something better.
|
| Apart from being able to run easily on clunky old machines, the great thing
| about Linux is the way thousands of the world’s most professional programmers
| have volunteered their spare time to improving the breed—with nothing to gain
| save personal satisfaction and the respect of their peers. Thanks to their
| efforts, there’s recently been a flood of slick desktop versions of the
| rugged open-source operating system.
`----

http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10500554

Supporting The Latest and Greatest; Supporting the Oldest and Slowest

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2008/01/supporting_the_latest_and_grea.html