[News] Windows-(Hardly)Capable PC Customised to Look Good with GNU/Linux

Making that old PC useful

,----[ Quite ]
| So then, why do it? Why jump through so many hoops to make a Linux desktop
| look like some other operating system, instead of just installing XP or
| Vista, or even a different, easier Linux distribution? Well, I mentioned the
| answer at the beginning of this article: speed. While looking like Vista (and
| I do believe it’s close enough to fool the normal pc user), it behaves
| nothing like it. Vista wouldn’t even install on this machine. XP would be
| slow. Easy Linux distributions had been installed on this machine and were
| underperforming too
`----.

http://celettu.wordpress.com/2008/05/25/making-that-old-pc-useful/

Recent:

FusionCast Episode IV -- Cylinder Cube, etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKJBPCy2l3g

Related:

Linux Desktop System Test "Stack"

,----[ Quote ]
| Quite literally a stack. Of identical computer systems. Weekend hardware
| retirements net four of a kind systems for new testing of Enterprise Linux
| Desktop
|
| There are some advantages to being in my job. Not only do I get to see all
| the cool new hardware, "play" with the systems of my youth (VAX 7000
| anyone?), and see the same diversity of software as hardware, but I get to
| sort through the hardware discard pile. The discard pile has been pretty tall
| lately too, what with all the machines we are able to retire because of new
| technology like X86 virtualization. Sometimes a computer gem or two appears
| in that pile that gets hauled back to my office and then late one night after
| everyone has gone home, gets Linux installed on it.
`----

http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-carl/steve-carl/Linux-DS-test-stack

Maker Movement Gaining Recognition

,----[ Quote ]
| In the next pavilion was the ACCRC's biodiesel powered Linux supercomputer
| built out of recycled PCs. The faire included everything from traditional
| crafts being remade with technology to robotics.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/01/maker_movement_diy.html

Life after cyber-death

,----[ Quote ]
| But thanks to improvements in desktop versions of Linux, we can now do
| something better.
|
| Apart from being able to run easily on clunky old machines, the great thing
| about Linux is the way thousands of the world’s most professional programmers
| have volunteered their spare time to improving the breed—with nothing to gain
| save personal satisfaction and the respect of their peers. Thanks to their
| efforts, there’s recently been a flood of slick desktop versions of the
| rugged open-source operating system.
`----

http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10500554

How to keep your old PC alive