[News] More Solid Migrations from Windows to GNU/Linux

Transition to the GNU/Linux Ubuntu Operating System

,----[ Quote ]
| Since installing Ubuntu the computers have run flawlessly. Last week we
| decided to upgrade both the office and breakfast room computers to the
| latests version of Ubuntu, Hardy Heron 8.04, which was released in April
| 2008. This is a long term support (LTS) release, the desktop version is
| supported with free security and software updates for the next 3 years, and
| it comes with all the latests software including Firefox 3 and the latests
| version of Open Office etc etc. With a bit of luck all our computing needs
| should be taken care of for the next good few years - all for free and with
| much reduced maintenance time and effort!
`----

http://garfieldguesthouse.blogspot.com/2008/05/transition-to-using-gnulinux-ubuntu.html

More adventures with Mepis

,----[ Quote ]
| As a hit and run live-CD it is adequate for rescue work or an office you take
| with you. And as I will use it, to manage files on my network and explore and
| tinker and tweak and general geeking out. What happens to all those other
| live-CD distros stacked on your desk? I like to from time to time revisit
| neighborhoods I have known and do demos for friends.
`----

http://arnoarts.blogspot.com/2008/05/more-adventures-with-mepis.html

Related:

French National Assembly switches to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux, OpenOffice and Firefox favoured
|
| [...]
|
| One deputy in favour of the move is Bernard Carayon, commissioned by
| the Prime Minister earlier this year to report on how European
| businesses could play a greater role in developing global industrial
| standards, in order to reduce Europe's economic dependance on other
| regions.
`----

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=7687

French police deal blow to Microsoft