[News] [Rival] Microsoft Zune a Failure: Thrown Off the Shelves (Just Like XBox360)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Zune a Failure: Thrown Off the Shelves (Just Like XBox360)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 04:12:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

GameStop to Stop Zune Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Video-game retailer GameStopGME has decided to stop selling Microsoft's Zune
| players at its stores due to what it sees as insufficient demand from
| customers.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/hardware/10418052.html

Steve Ballmer made the following remarks a few days ago (from the INQ):

        'Ballmer also noted the Xbox had been "a funny product for us" and that the
        company had struggled for a while trying to figure out how to make money out
        of it.

        "The same applies to Zune," he laughed, "except we still haven't figured out
        how to make money out of that one."'

In Ballmer-speak, "funny product" (see above) means "failed product." Some
hours ago, the FSF announced a new project that's intended to bury the Zune
for good. A bit like Microsoft's amnesty bins, ironically enough turned
against them.

Recent:

X-Box flops, Microsoft winds up ops in several cities

,----[ Quote ]
| It seems to be troubled days for Microsoft's X-Box as it seems the company is
| now winding up operations in several cities.
|
| [...]
|
| According to sources, the company has withdrawn from several Tier-I cities
| due to lackluster sales. Microsoft Entertainment & Devices Division has also
| withdrawn the marketing budget for the current fiscal.
`----

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/business/x-box-flops-microsoft-windsopsseveral-cities/21/01/338381

The Xbox 360 is dead

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a report, if some Australian retailers had their way, the Xbox
| 360 would be dumped from their shelves.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17494/1093/

Microsoft’s Xbox 360 sinking quickly in face of opposition from PS3 and Wii

,----[ Quote ]
| Even though Microsoft just came off a great year in 2007 with the release of
| exclusive blockbuster titles such as Halo 3, Bioshock and Forza 2 they are
| now in a much weaker position more than ever this year. The future is
| starting to look a bit bleak for this console in face of stiff competition
| from the Wii and PS3.
|
| [...]
|
| If Microsoft does not change its business strategy of just relying on third
| party titles, the Xbox 360 will find itself in a similar situation the
| original Xbox was in. The future of any console’s success will be their first
| party offerings and who can offer the most number of diverse titles and
| blockbuster hits, will have the edge to wining the console war. However, with
| Microsoft loosing four studios in the past few years analyst have questioned
| if Microsoft Game Studios was built on quick sand.
`----

http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/05/12/microsoft%E2%80%99s-xbox-360-sinking-quickly-in-face-of-opposition-from-ps3-and-wii/
http://tinyurl.com/59flnv

- From Vista to Zune: Why Microsoft Can’t Sell to Consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft’s marketing of Windows Vista and the Zune have failed in large part
| due to the fact that Microsoft has not learned how to effectively sell
| consumer products. Consumers buy Windows and Office, but that’s because they
| have no choice, not because of the company’s marketing savvy. Microsoft only
| effectively markets its products to businesses, which represents a very
| different type of sales relationship.
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/05/12/from-vista-to-zune-why-microsoft-cant-sell-to-consumers/

Zune Sales Still In the Toilet

,----[ Quote ]
| Selling a million Zunes across nine months seems particularly conservative
| for a company with Microsoft’s clout, particularly when considering that it
| was selling against the iPod, which got snatched up 40 million times over
| that same period. When Microsoft announced having shipped 1.2 million units
| in early July, Windows Enthusiasts rejoiced that the goal was reached,
| apparently unaware that Microsoft’s definition of “shipping” means
| transferring product to a retailer’s warehouse.
`----

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2008/05/09/zune-sales-still-in-the-toilet/

Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company

,----[ Quote ]
| Bryan Lee, corporate vice president at Microsoft's entertainment
| and devices division, also played a key role in shaping the Xbox
| game console business and the introduction of its Internet
| Protocol television software.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6155200.html

Dancing Ballmer subjected to Zune dance therapy

,----[ Quote ]
| The japester appears to have used an internal Microsoft website to direct,
| well, just about anyone to this re-reinterpretation of Steve Ballmer’s
| infamous monkeyboy dance. Or is it a re-reinterpetation of Apple's iPod
| advertising campaign? In these mashed-up days, it's hard to tell.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/01/ballmer_dances/

Microsoft May Build a Copyright Cop Into Every Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| If you like to download the latest episodes of “Heroes” or other NBC shows
| from BitTorrent, maybe you shouldn’t buy a Microsoft Zune to watch them on.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/05/07/microsoft-may-build-a-copyright-cop-into-every-zune/index.html?ref=technology

EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
| Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
| apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
| Zune music player.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9931304-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's the situation: Microsoft has agreed to pay a portion of
| the profits from the sales of the Zune to a record company
| (Universal) because the Zune will undoubtedly be used to
| store unpurchased songs.
|
| [...]
|
| Here it is important to remember a few simple things. The
| money goes to the Universal, not to the artists.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's move sets a bad precedent and turns all consumers into
| thieves without evidence.
`----

http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-reason-to-hate-the-zune-and-microsoft-too/

Universal to seek money for each iPod sold

,----[ Quote ]
| "It would be a nice idea. We have a negotiation coming up not too
| far. I don't see why we wouldn't do that... but maybe not in the
| same way," Morris said. His "same way" comment is a reference tot
| he Zune, which Universal already gets $1 from after signing a deal
| with Microsoft.

Lack of Internal Talks at Microsoft, Google

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/11/15/lack-of-internal-talks-at-microsoft-google/