[News] Kenya Linux Group Fights Discrimination Against Free Software in Government

  • Subject: [News] Kenya Linux Group Fights Discrimination Against Free Software in Government
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 03:44:13 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Kenya Linux Group Challenges Procurement Policies

,----[ Quote ]
| After losing out on many software tenders to the government, the Linux
| Professional Association (LPA) will engage the Public Procurement Oversight
| Authority (PPOA) in Kenya over procurement rules, according to the
| association chairman.
|
| The association members have been locked out of government tenders because
| the requests for proposals are usually skewed toward Microsoft products,
| therefore locking out open-source software developed locally, says LPA
| Chairman Evans Ikua.
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/367113/Kenya_Linux_Group_Challenges_Procurement_Policies

It's worth noting Microsoft's recent (alleged) corruption in Kenya. Details
below. If true, then corruption continue to be Microsoft's primary "export".

Recent:

Microsoft Denies Threatening to Withdraw Funding

,----[ Quote ]
| However, the denial was a contradiction to comments by Bitange Ndemo,
| permanent secretary in the Ministry of Information and Communication, who
| said that Microsoft may have made comments regarding funding, though not
| directly or in writing.
|
| "They may have said something to that effect though not directly and not in
| writing. Microsoft cannot threaten us. In any case, our policy is very clear,
| we encourage people to use open-source software and those who want to use
| proprietary software are at liberty to do so" Ndemo said.
|
| There was heated debate in Kenya's technology sector before the decision to
| abstain. The decision was made by a 12-member committee. Some experts felt
| that the committee was comprised of a majority of Microsoft partners.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144898/microsoft_denies_threatening_to_withdraw_funding.html

Kenya: How Software War Will Hurt Consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| Rather than buy Microsoft software or pay royalty fees to the company, most
| cyber-cafes around the country are choosing to instal free, open source
| software.
|
| This follows the start of an aggressive campaign by the software giant in
| October last year, which targeted cyber-cafes that are illegally using its
| software and denying it the right to benefit from many years of research.
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200805150945.html

Linux cutting software costs in Kenya

,----[ Quote ]
| Entrepreneurs in Kenya are putting Linux to work to cut costs and maximise
| profits as they look for new ways to bring computing to users.One of these
| entrepreneurs is Patrick Mathenge, CEO of Mullard Electronic Limited, a firm
| trading in hardware and software from its Mombasa Road offices. The company
| is distributing Linux software that can turn a single computer into up to 10
| workstations.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2392

Related:

Africa: 'Microsoft is Imperialistic' Says Open Source Advocates

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corporation's products have been locked out of the
| on-going World Social Forum (WSF) in Nairobi Kenya.
|
| With over 300 computers provided for participants and the press,
| organizers of the WSF have preferred to provide open source
| software products and blocked all Microsoft related products for
| the forum's usage and its related activities.
|
| [...]
|
| Activists at the forum also believe that since Microsoft is a
| corporate brand from the United States of America, a country
| they believe has intentions of maintaining the status quo of
| a unipolar world over which it is above international law and
| the UN, the brand should be locked out.
|
| [...]
|
| "The open source movement is providing Linux, a robust free
| software. Everybody owns it and it can be shared. And this
| is what WSF is all about - a free society, a movement
| fighting for ownership of free resources" he adds.
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200701230831.html

Swahili Blogosphere: State of education in Tanzania, M-Pesa and Open Source
Movement in Kenya

,----[ Quote ]
| Maitha, who blogs at Mawazo na Mawaidha, writes about M-Pesa and open
| source movement in Kenya. Recently, he, used M-Pesa service. He points
| out an incorrect Swahili phrase used by the service and wonders why
| they did not consult a Swahili linguist.
|
| He posts links to three Kenyan websites dedicated to the promotion of
| open source software. He believes that the websites will contribute to
| the growth of open source movement in Kenya.
`----

http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2007/05/06/swahili-blogosphere-state-of-education-in-tanzania-m-pesa-and-open-source-movement-in-kenya/
http://tinyurl.com/2nne3r

Kenya: Copyright Board Takes Piracy War to Cyber Cafes

,----[ Quote ]
| Cyber café operators within Nairobi are torn between legalising their
| Microsoft software operating system, shifting to Open Source Code or closing
| shop all together following the crack down on illegal software.
|
| [...]
|
| According to Mr Kasani, the software will manage all aspects of cyber café
| billing such as Internet time, printing, items, accounts, discounts, the
| programme will be across platform , it will be possible to run it on both
| Linux and Windows computers connected on the same cyber works.
`----

http://allafrica.com/stories/200711262040.html

Open source opportunity on the road to Nairobi

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1725