[News] [Rival] Microsoft Keeps Falling in Search Market Share, Google/Yahoo! Under Discussion

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Keeps Falling in Search Market Share, Google/Yahoo! Under Discussion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 03:36:45 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Google seizes search share in April

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Microsoft dropped 0.3 to 9.1 percent...
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9950298-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Google co-founder pushes for Yahoo ad deal

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's co-founder Larry Page respects Yahoo's struggle to remain
| independent, and he says there's still a chance an advertising deal between
| the two companies can work.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9950345-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Another brand-new article from VAR Guy shows how Google is gradually catching
up with Microsoft's revenue.

Yesterday:

Microsoft's new tack: Bribery as a business model

,----[ Quote ]
| But truth be told, it's not the worst idea. What's the harm in giving it a
| shot? In a recession--or whatever you want to call the current economic
| malaise in the United States--consumers are open to bribes (oh, I forgot:
| rebates). So why not see if this strikes the people's fancy? But this is only
| a holding action. The reason more people use Google's search is the user
| experience. It works better, so they keep returning. Microsoft CEO Steve
| Ballmer knows this.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-9949286-60.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Recent:

A reminder of why Microsoft wanted Yahoo

,----[ Quote ]
| Henry Blodget at Silicon Alley Insider has posted Tuesday a good look at how
| Microsoft's Windows and Google's search will stack up by 2009. The results
| aren't necessarily surprising, but they're certainly interesting to see in
| print: By this time next year, Blodget predicts, Google search will pass
| Windows in total revenue.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9943247-7.html

Microsoft stock drops amid slumping sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., whose Windows software dominates the personal-computer
| market, fell 6.2 percent Fridayin Nasdaq trading after sales slumped, casting
| doubt on whether PC demand can hold up in a slowing economy. The software
| maker reported a 24 percent drop in sales of Windows last quarter and
| forecast earnings that may miss analysts' estimates.
|
| [...]
|
| "The risk is that Linux gets a foothold and then affects their long-term
| revenue significantly."
`----

http://www.sltrib.com/business/ci_9061263

Is Microsoft Aura Fading?