[News] More on the Index for Open Source Players and Open Source Fakers

Customers versus users: a distinction

,----[ Quote ]
| He is of course right that most enterprise adopters would not care about an
| openness index, and in fact such a thing could actually cause more harm than
| good by confusing potential adopters. However enterprises were not the
| potential audience that I (or I believe MTG) envisioned for what MTG called
| the Equitable Open Source label.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/05/21/customers-versus-users-a-distinction/

Here are some brand-new example of very weak 'open source' things:

Misys Open Source Solutions Launches Open Carbon World Portal

,----[ Quote ]
| Misys Open Source Solutions in conjunction with several industry partners
| announced today at the California Climate Action Registry’s 6th Annual
| Navigating the Carbon World conference that it has launched a beta-version of
| its Open Carbon World portal for members of the carbon community interested
| in driving market policy.
`----

http://www.ebizq.net/news/9623.html?grss

RTOS company joins open-source community

,----[ Quote ]
| Express Logic recently introduced an Eclipse-based integrated development
| environment, BenchX, which provides software developers with the tools they
| need to build intelligent embedded devices.
`----

http://www.electronicstalk.com/news/exp/exp142.html

1&1 Opts for Open Source Business Foundation Membership

,----[ Quote ]
| 1&1 Internet, a web host company, today announced that it has joined Open
| Source Business Foundation e.V. Seated in Nuremberg. It states that Open
| Source Business Foundation is a European network of the open source sector
| and already has more than 120 members - innovative companies as well as
| scientific institutes and public-sector bodies.
`----

http://www.webhosting.info/news/1/1&1-opts-for-open-source-business-foundation-membership_0521082167.htm

Microsoft shoved itself into there too.

SugarCRM launches data center edition

,----[ Quote ]
| "Here you have an open-source product that is already compatible with other
| open-source technologies, including PHP and ZEND, the open-source e-mail tool
| Thunderbird, mySQL, and Linux," he said in an e-mail.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/052108-sugarcrm-launches-data-center.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

At least they support and use Linux. GPLv3 for community edition.

New Open Source ColdFusion CMS Gives Costly Competitors a Run for the Money

,----[ Quote ]