[News] Google's Role in Promoting Linux at Symbian's and Windows' Expense

Are Google and Amazon the Next Great Hope for the (Linux) Desktop?

| This opportunity is the same for Linux as it is for Mac. If you are no longer
| dependent on your desktop operating system for tight application integration
| you have a lot more freedom in your desktop platform. That opens the door for
| Linux. Frankly, I use an Apple OS X desktop (which supports my EVDO card) for
| my work laptop but much of the time I prefer the quick response of my Ubuntu
| operating system running on a Dell laptop which costs about one-third of the
| what my Mac Book Pro does. With a little tweaking and growing hardware
| support (for me it’s support for my Verizon EVDO card) I see Linux desktops
| like the AsusEEE being a good alternative to one running Windows. If all your
| apps are in the network it’s likely you could use inexpensive desktop
| computers at work running Linux and ultra-mobile PCs on the road. I don’t
| expect a massive migration to Linux or Mac from Windows. I just envision a
| opportunity for a greater and more realistic number of choices for desktop
| computing.
`----

http://socializedsoftware.com/2008/05/20/are-google-and-amazon-the-next-great-hope-for-the-linux-desktop/
http://tinyurl.com/5ftzps

And then there's Android... (see bottom)

Don't Ask About the Smartphones, Symbian CEO Says

| "One of the things we are focusing on far more now [is], don't talk about the
| smartphone marketplace, internally and externally, just talk about the
| overall phone market," Clifford said.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146092/dont_ask_about_the_smartphones_symbian_ceo_says.html

Recent: