Re: Microsoft Evangelism a Flawed Philosophy

____/ High Plains Thumper on Sunday 16 November 2008 09:42 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Peter Köhlmann on Friday:

>>> *Seemingly* polite. In reality, he is extremely dishonest in
>>> his arguing, and being dishonest is about the worst thing
>>> you can actually do when arguing. It is tantamount to being
>>> very impolite
>>>
>>> Bill Weisgerber is even worse than Erik Funkenbusch
>>
>> Even Microsoft Munchkins have standards to follow..
>>
>> As Microsoft puts it <
>> http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/Comes-3096.pdf > (Slide on PDF page
>> 125):
>>
>> "Channel of Information" "On-line Forums"
>>
>> [1] "Monitor the relevant Usenet groups at all times"
>> [2] "Write well"
>> [3] "Be exceedingly formal and polite"
>> [3a] "- It is very easy to give offense"
>> [3b] "- Always assume that you are wrong; ask others to
>> explain it to you"
>> [3c] "- Developers are impressed by clear, precise, polite
>> communication"
>> [4] "Don't sound like a prig"
>>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> So they can be arrogant liars, yet only /SEEM/ polite.
>>
>> Also see:
>>
>> Slide on PDF page 45:
>>
>> "/Mopping up/.  During the mopping-up phase, ensure that the
>> enemy technology is routed.  Use the press, the Internet, etc.
>> to heighten the impression that the enemy is desperate,
>> demoralized, defeated, deceased."
>>
>> Text page on PDF page 55:
>>
>> "/11: Mopping up/"
>>
>> "Mopping Up can be a lot of fun.  In the Mopping Up phase,
>> Evangelism's goal is to put the final nail into the competing
>> technology's coffin, and bury it in the burning depths of the
>> earth.  Ideally, use of the competing technology becomes
>> associated with mental deficiency, as in, "he believes in
>> Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and OS/2."  Just keep rubbing
>> it in, via the press, analysts, newsgroups, whatever.  make
>> the complete failure of the competition's technology part of
>> the mythology of the computer industry.  We want to place
>> selection pressure on the companies and individuals that show
>> a genetic weakness for competitor's technologies, to make the
>> industry increasingly resistant to such unhealthy strains,
>> over time."
>>
>> Slide on PDF page 43:
>>
>> "All is not Fair"
>>
>> "o We are under close scrutiny"
>> "  - Any unethical acts WILL BE uncovered"
>> "o Besides - we're the good guys!"
>> "o Simple rule to live by: _Never Lie_"
>> "  - Tell the truth, and nothing but the truth"
>> "  - Be selective in which truths you emphasize"
>> "  - Let the competition fill in the gaps"
>
> Roy, this document states to tell only the truth, but in reality
> it is deception that it preaches.  The key is in the statements
> of the mopping up section.
>
> In essence it preaches to lie in a manner that gives the
> appearance of telling "the truth, the whole truth, and nothing
> but the truth".

> [...]

Regarding that 'religious' document from Microsoft, see:

"[M]y presentation was such a hit with DRG’s management that I gave it in three
subsequent internal training sessions at (roughly) six-month intervals. DRG’s
management REQUIRED the attendance of all newly-hired evangelists at these
presentations, and the attendance & participation of all other evangelists was
recommended. The pace of hiring new evangelists then slowed, so it was not
necessary to give such internal training sessions thereafter. Microsoft had
not previously had any formal training seminars for newly-hired evangelists,
so far as I know (between 1992 and 1996). If you read the transcript of
the “offending” presentation, you’ll see that Marshall Goldberg — a senior
evangelist who had frequent meetings with Microsoft’s senior executives,
including Bill Gates — refers to me as being Microsoft’s “evangelism
theoretician.”

The point being that Microsoft recognized that my presentations on evangelism
theory, strategy, and tactics — of which only one has been entered into the
public record, the others still being massively confidential — were, in fact,
the best embodiment of Microsoft’s evangelism “policy” that existed at the
time. Else, they would have used some other materials and presenter for
new-evangelist training, would they not?"

http://scripting.wordpress.com/2007/01/09/scripting-news-for-192007/#comment-34530

This type of stuff should be presented to the European Commission and be used
to make a permanent embargo.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    YaSTall Linux to figure out the magic
         run-level 5  Oct 15 15:52                   last=S