[News] Novell Loses Trust of the Community After Latest Move

Novell makes itself even harder to trust

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, though, Novell seems determined to weaken the same Linux world by
| forcing it to fight with itself. This couldn’t be better news for competitors
| such as Microsoft.
|
| A software patent agreement with Microsoft was also the first hint that
| Novell was just after a quick buck. This most recent plan pretty much seals
| that reputation.
|
| It also suggests that Novell is struggling; struggling to convince users to
| deploy its software and struggling to get migration deals signed. So it turns
| on the community that helped it avoid an untimely death and devises new ways
| to destroy it.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=3630

Novell bid to cannibalise Linux market

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this year, there was evidence that things were not exactly rosy at
| Novell, with Microsoft deciding to invest an additional $100 million for the
| purchase of certificates which customers could redeem for SUSE Linux service
| and support.
|
| Back to the announcement ; some of the prose employed tells its own tale.
| Justin Steinman, vice-president of Solution and Product Marketing at Novell,
| is quoted as saying: “As the Linux market matures, we are increasingly being
| approached by customers who want to move to SUSE Linux Enterprise, attracted
| by Novell's award-winning support, superb interoperability in mixed-source
| environments, and by our support for mission critical applications."
|
| The Linux market matured a long time back and if one has to cite awards to
| justify one's competence in the field of operating systems, then one is
| really beginning to clutch at straws.
|
| And as to mission critical applications, is he trying to say that Red Hat
| does not offer equal - and, in my opinion, better - support?
|
| Red Hat has wisely chosen to stay mum. I am sure that the people at the top
| knew quite well what kind of reaction this Novell marketing manoeuvre would
| bring forth.
|
| What's next, Novell? Lehman Brothers share certificates for those who buy
| SUSE Linux?
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21690/1148/

Lawrence D'Oliveiro says: "Just ask Oracle. Anybody using its "Unbreakable"
Linux? ... (crickets) ..."

Novell vs. Red Hat: Linux vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Joint Windows/Linux support is something that a lot of businesses need. That
| said, Novell working hand-in-glove with Microsoft doesn't go over at all well
| with many Linux users. Boycott Novell, after all, which serves as the
| lightning rod for resentment against Novell and Microsoft working together,
| is a very popular site.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/novell_vs_red_hat_linux_vs_linux

Recent: