[News] [Rival] Microsoft's Middle East Buddies and Norris Sniff Around SCO?

Norris Did Attend SCO's Tec Forum; Investors "Excited" About Prospects

,----[ Quote ]
| It turns out that Stephen Norris did attend SCO's Tec Forum after all, at
| least according to SCO's latest SCO Partner News newsletter someone sent me.
| He expressed that SCO's strengths are its customers and its products. That's
| why the investors he says he represents are "so excited about the business
| prospects of working with SCO" and in particular because of SCO's commitment
| to backward compatibility of "all its products -- going all the way back to
| Xenix". Hmm.

"On the same day that CA blasted SCO, Open Source evangelist Eric Raymond
revealed a leaked email from SCO's strategic consultant Mike Anderer to their
management. The email details how, surprise surprise, Microsoft has arranged
virtually all of SCO's financing, hiding behind intermediaries like Baystar
Capital."

                http://www.linux.com/feature/34767
                Bruce Perens

"Microsoft hardly needs an SCO source license. Its license payment to SCO is
simply a good-looking way to pass along a bribe..."

                http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-129441.html
                Bruce Perens

Larry Goldfarb of Baystar was a large investor in SCO. Under oath he confessed:

"...Microsoft wished to promote SCO and its pending lawsuit against IBM and the
Linux operating system. But Microsoft did not want to be seen as attacking IBM
or Linux."

Also he said:

"Mr. Emerson and I discussed a variety of investment structures wherein
Microsoft would 'backstop,' or guarantee in some way, BayStar's investment....
Microsoft assured me that it would in some way guarantee BayStar's investment
in SCO."

Related:

SCO acquisition wrap-up

,----[ Quote ]
| Datamation's Roy Schestowitz notes that for a company with such a troubled
| and checkered past, it's a mystery why anyone would want to come forward and
| help rescue it from certain death. "Why would anyone invest in SCO?" he
| asks. "More importantly, why now?"
|
| Groklaw's Jones may have an answer. She suggests a connection between the new
| investors and Microsoft's Bill Gates.
|
| In the end, though, all the hype may be just that -- hype. Jim Zemlin,
| executive director of The Linux Foundation, says all the theories and
| conjecture are just navel-gazing. In fact, he says the whole story is nothing
| more than "a speculator picking the bones of a defunct company. The facts of
| the SCO case haven't changed; the Linux industry is stronger than ever."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/127397

SCO announces reorganization plan - $100 M from SNCP & "partners from the
Middle East", to go private - Updated

,----[ Quote ]
| Update: It seems Bill Gates has a friend in this picture. The two announced
| another deal last year, according to this IHT article, "Four Seasons Hotels
| agrees to bid from Gates and Alwaleed":
|
|     Gates and Alwaleed have collaborated for at least two years. After
|     attending a dinner at Gates's home in Bellevue, Washington, in early
|     2004, Alwaleed agreed to explore ways to assist Microsoft's expansion in
|     Saudi Arabia.
|
| So, there's Waldo.

Talking Linux IP with Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]