[News] Why Sharing of Software is Better Than Not Sharing

Giving it Away for Free

,----[ Quote ]
| I was talking with a pal of mine yesterday out back in his workshop. He was
| making a beautiful piece of furniture and I was going on about the world
| which, of course, eventually led to a discussion of computer operating
| systems, open source, that kind of thing.
|
| [...]
|
| As we both oooh'd and ahhh'd over it and ran our fingers over it I asked
| him, "So, Frank, how much you gonna sell this bad-boy for?" Frank just
| smiled. "I'm not selling this, I can't. You know, it's too much of me, to
| much soul, too much devotion. I could never sell this, I'd either keep it for
| myself or give it to someone I loved."
|
| "So, Frank, you mean like those Open Source developers?", I asked. And he
| smiled again. He got it. His smile got crooked and he said, "Yeah, ya bastid,
| just like those open source developers." You could almost see his epiphany.
`----

http://www.debiantutorials.org/content/view/235/1/

It's a question of scarcity, of which there is none in the digital world. Only
intellectual monopolies try to limit endless duplication that costs nothing.

Recent:

Bilski: Be prepared for huge lobbying in Congress?

,----[ Quote ]
| The outcome of the Bilski case, which should be published in October, might
| invalidate software patents in the United States:
|
|     Plager said he regretted the unintended consequences of the decisions in
|     State Street Bank and AT&T. Those rulings led to a flood of applications
|     for software and business method patents, he noted. If we “rethink the
|     breadth of patentable subject matter,” he said, we should ask whether
|     these categories should be excluded from patent protection.
|
| If the CAFC are clever enough to follow the Supreme Court and kick software
| patents out, you might see the desperate large corporations and their patent
| department rushing to Congress. Especially if tomorrow the banks value their
| patent portfolio as void, and not useful to get any credit.
`----

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-95558/bilski:be-prepared-for-huge-lobbying-in-congress

Latha Jishnu: The mouse that bit Microsoft
PATENTLY ABSURD

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.business-standard.com/india/storypage.php?autono=330566