[News] Vista a No-Go for Small Laptop, GNU/Linux is Good

Super Small Laptop From Korea

,----[ Quote ]
| You can choose for it to be powered by Windows XP, Windows Vista or Linux
| operating systems, and we would strongly recommend against you choosing the
| middle option as the hardware just ain't beefy enough.
`----

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2008/11/super_small_laptop_from_korea.html

Recent:

Microsoft Missing Out on Netbook Growth as Linux Wins Sales

,----[ Quote ]
| Small laptops are becoming a big problem for Microsoft Corp.'s Windows
| business.
|
| A new breed of lightweight computers called netbooks are beginning to crack
| the company's dominance of operating systems. Acer Inc. and Asustek Computer
| Inc., which together account for 90 percent of the netbook market, are using
| the rival Linux software on about 30 percent of their low-cost notebooks.
|
| The devices, which usually cost less than $500, are the fastest-growing
| segment of the personal-computer industry -- a trend that's eating into
| Microsoft's revenue. Windows sales fell short of forecasts last quarter and
| the company cut growth projections for the year, citing the lower revenue it
| gets from netbooks. When makers of the computers do use Windows, they
| typically opt for older and cheaper versions of the software.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a3VyE_ofSwwE

Microsoft Battles Low-Cost Rival for Africa

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122332198757908625.html