[News] GNU/Linux Company Finds a Sugar Daddy, Acquired

Terra Soft to Merge With Japanese Cell Developer Fixstars

,----[ Quote ]
| Yellow Dog Linux developer Terra Soft Solutions has been bought by Fixstars,
| a Japanese company specializing in software for the Cell Broadband Engine.
| Terra Soft will maintain its product line, while its former CEO will serve as
| COO. The merger occurs just two months shy of Terra Soft's 10-year
| anniversary.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Terra-Soft-to-Merge-With-Japanese-Cell-Developer-Fixstars-65099.html

They sell GNU/Linux servers to top-tier facilities.

Recent:

Terra Soft, Argo Graphics Provide Power Linux to Japan

,----[ Quote ]
| Terra Soft Solutions of Loveland, Colorado and Argo Graphics of Tokyo, Japan
| today announce a collaborative effort to bring enterprise level support to
| Linux for Power architecture systems in Japan, with immediate support for the
| IBM PowerXCell 8i 3.2 GHz based QS22 blade and the IBM Cell SDK.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10710.html

Quad-core PowerPC workstation runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Terra Soft Solutions announced a development workstation billed as the heir
| to the Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, except more open. The Yellow Dog Linux (YDL)
| PowerStation offers four PowerPC cores clocked at 2.5GHz, up to 32GB RAM, and
| four bays for serially attached SCSI (SAS) drives.

Terra Soft Launches Quad-Core 'YDL PowerStation'

,----[ Quote ]
| Terra Soft today launched the YDL PowerStation, a robust deskside tower which
| returns the Power architecture to both the workstation and server at an
| affordable price.
|
| Available exclusively from Terra Soft Solutions, the YDL PowerStation offers
| four 2.5GHz IBM 970MP cores, up to 32GB RAM, dual Gigabit ethernet, four USB
| 2.0 ports, integrated ultra-fast SAS with 4 hot-swap bays, both PCI-E and
| PCI-X slots, and support for x86 architecture graphics cards.
`----

http://www.linuxpr.com/releases/10651.html

Related:

DreamWorks Animation's Kung Fu Panda created with Linux-based HP workstations

,----[ Quote ]
| DreamWorks Animation's Kung Fu Panda, which opened today, June 6, 2008, was
| created entirely on Linux-based Hewlett Packard workstations. The digital
| studio has been using HP workstations since 2001 successfully on its films.
| Ed Leonard, CTO at DreamWorks Animation discusses the company's digital
| workflow, history of the HP-DreamWorks alliance, and the benefit of
| multi-core processing systems.
`----

http://facilities.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=415193

Yellow Dog Linux 6 released

,----[ Quote ]
| Terra Soft on Tuesday announced the release of Yellow Dog Linux v6.0, a new
| version of their operating system that works on, among other platforms, G4
| and G5-equipped Macs. The software is available immediately for YDLnet
| Enhanced users; it will be published on DVD in two weeks, and public mirrors
| will have it available within a month.
`----

http://www.macworld.com/article/131961/2008/02/ydl.html

PS3 available pre-installed with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| TerraSoft is now taking direct pre-orders with no delivery
| time guarantees for a Sony PS3 pre-installed with Linux,
| priced at $650.

Sony's PS3: It Rocks on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Installing YDL on the PS3 is a multi-step, albeit fairly
| straightforward, process.
`----

http://www.edn.com/blog/400000040/post/1870007187.html

Software Review: Yellow Dog Linux 5 for PlayStation 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Setup and install went as smooth as I have ever seen a Linux install
| go. I have Yellow Dog Linux 4 on my PowerBook, and even that was a
| chore in comparison to v. 5 on the PS3.
`----

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/02/18/164648.php

PS3 Yellow Dog Linux Install Videos

,----[ Quote ]
| Due to the demand on the PS3 forums I am making some install videos of
| Yellow Dog Linux. Sorry about the slightly shaky footage, since I was
| installing and holding the camera at the same time.
`----

http://fatpenguinblog.com/?p=798

A Ghost and the Machine

,----[ Quote ]