Re: Microsoft losing revenue to Linux; only the beginning

____/ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on Tuesday 11 November 2008 14:11 : \____

> On Nov 11, 4:44 am, Chris Ahlstrom <lino...@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Darth Chaos belched out
>> this bit o' wisdom:
>>

>> >http://girishmallapragada.blogspot.com/2008/04/microsoft-fed-and-futu...
>>
>> > Sunday, April 13, 2008
>> > Microsoft, Fed and a future bailout story
>>
>> > This might happen in the not too distant future.  A Fed bailout of
>> > Microsoft.  Just as the Fed bailed out Bear, it might have to
>> > eventually bail out Microsoft as well.  It is no secret that Vista has
>> > been a big flop for Microsoft.  What could now happen is Microsoft
>> > tries to scramble desperately to develop a new OS that is not like
>> > Vista and given that MS never learns from its mistakes all we will we
>> > get is some variant of XP and Vista. (gates has already called this
>> > Windows 7).  As usual, due to to Microsoft's thoughtlessness it will
>> > be a flop and what the world will end up with is a monopoly that
>> > cannot address the needs of millions of consumers and firms.  Very
>> > sensitive financial data and hosts of other things will be continue to
>> > be hosted on old legacy Microsoft offerings that lag behind other
>> > technologies.
>>
>> Anybody remember this one?
>>
>> http://www.pcworld.com/article/95904/gates_threatens_to_yank_windows....
>>
>> Gates Threatens to Yank Windows
>>
>> In his written direct testimony, Gates claimed that having to sell an
>> unbound version of Windows would not only fragment the OS, but would
>> force Microsoft to pull the product from the market. This is because it
>> would be impossible for Microsoft to meet a requirement that the unbound
>> version must be functionally equivalent to existing versions of Windows.
>>
>> > One the day of reckoning when no one is prepared, there
>> > will be a system wide crash and with it the stock markets.  The Fed
>> > will be asked to bail out Microsoft because a further collapse needs
>> > to be prevented.  The Fed will agree and rescue MS shareholders while
>> > leaving million sof MS consumers at a loss.
>>
>> > I urge what we need is a consumer bill of rights from Microsoft.  The
>> > right to be free and be able to insist for software that can work with
>> > other programs.  Also, these rights should enforce hardware providers
>> > not to develop hardware that is OS dependent.  The driver developers
>> > need to be arm-twisted as well.  The reason we need the institutions
>> > to intervene is that otherwise they would be the ones who would be
>> > forced to bail out Microsoft and all the other greedy firms which rely
>> > on closed IP, just like we had to bail out Bear.  We deserve much
>> > better and much more than that.
>>
>> Gates also told the court it would take hundreds of engineers working
>> for years to produce the reference implementations of the Windows'
>> programming interfaces that the states' proposed remedies ask.
>>
>> --
>> Work is of two kinds: first, altering the position of matter at or near
> [...]

"Windows Threatens to Yank Gates"

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
Swap:  4088500k total,   417880k used,  3670620k free,   264040k cached