Re: AVG disaster breaks Windows, Linux saves the day

  this bit o' wisdom:

> ____/ TomB on Tuesday 11 November 2008 18:19 : \____
>
>> On 2008-11-11, Richard Rasker was urged to write the following:
>>>
>>> (In Dutch)
>>>
>>> http://webwereld.nl/articles/53507/update-avg-anti-virus-sloopt-windows.html

>>> user32.dll as a virus, and quarantines it. After this, Windows BSODs at
>>> boot time. It appears to have hit all Dutch, French, Italian, and Spanish
>>> AVG users.
>>>
>>> And sure enough, I got several phone calls from (quite distressed) Windows
>>> and (much less distressed) dual-boot users. The latter ones were the lucky
>>> ones: they still had a working system -- and once I know where AVG stored
>>> the quarantined user32.dll file, it's trivial to copy or restore it to its
>>> proper location.
>>> The Windows-only users are less lucky: many of them got stuck with an
>>> unbootable system; booting into safe mode with F8 and repairing the system
>>> from there only worked for a minority -- all the others will have to wait
>>> for me to come over with a Knoppix CD and fix things ...
>>>
>>> Ah well, another day, another heap of Windows crap to fix, with the help of
>>> Linux.
>>>
>>> Richard Rasker
>>
>> This was just on the news here. Local computer shops are charging ?
>> 50,00 to "fix" a machine suffering from this problem.
>>
>> ~ Tommy
>
> Who said Microsoft isn't good for the economy?
>
> See? We're solving 'real' problems and make money in the process.
>
> http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/01/broken-windows-and-ghost-of-keynes.html
>
> "The most cogent criticism of the Magic Multiplier goes back 50-years to Henry
> Hazlitt's, Economics in One Easy Lesson, where he tells the tale of "The
> fallacy of the broken window". It goes something like this:
>
> "Imagine the town baker's shop window is broken by an errant baseball throw. A
> unfortunate expense to the baker, one might say. But that is a narrow
> parochial view. Look instead at the benefit to the whole community. The window
> will cost $300 to replace. That money will go to the glazier who will then use
> his profits to buy a new sofa from the furniture store, who will then use his
> profits to buy a new bicycle for his child from the toy store, and so on. The
> money will continue to circulate in over-widening circles, bringing joy to
> all. The original loss of $300 by the baker will more than be made up for by
> the aggregate increase in the amount of goods and services exchanged in the
> town. Instead of punishing the little boy who broke the window, he should be
> raised up and praised as a Universal Benefactor and Economic Sage of the First
> Order."

There's another "broken-window" effect:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixing_Broken_Windows

   "Consider a building with a few broken windows. If the windows are not
   repaired, the tendency is for vandals to break a few more windows.
   Eventually, they may even break into the building, and if it's
   unoccupied, perhaps become squatters or light fires inside."

Looks like Windows got some vandals.

Oh, the parable you quote above is also discussed at wikipedia, as a
fallacy.

So we have two parables the redound to the discredit of Windows.

--
The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity.  Nowhere
in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths,