[News] Yahoo Does Data Mining with Free/Open Source Software

Yahoo's transforms data mining with open-source Hadoop

,----[ Quote ]
| BEHIND Yahoo's push to open up web search and advertising is software
| powerful enough to sort through the entire US Library of Congress in less
| than half a minute.
`----

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/story/0,24897,24630691-24169,00.html

Eucalyptus is BSD-licensed and makes progress too.

Open Source Cloud Computing: RightScale Joins Forces With Eucalyptus

,----[ Quote ]
| Eucalyptus, which stands for "Elastic Utility Computing Architecture for
| Linking Your Programs to Useful Systems," is an open source software
| infrastructure for implementing cloud computing on clusters. The current
| interface to Eucalyptus is compatible with Amazon's EC2 interface, but the
| infrastructure is designed to support multiple client-side interfaces.
| Eucalyptus can be downloaded for free and installed on any set of servers to
| create a private, EC2-compatible cloud computing system on those servers.
`----

http://www.datastorageconnection.com/article.mvc/Open-Source-Cloud-Computing-0001?VNETCOOKIE=NO

Recent:

Google Exec Hints at Future Open Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| I was watching a video of a panel from the Web 2.0 Summit on ReadWriteWeb.
| I've had a growing fascination with Cloud Computing in recent months, and
| this particular panel included key players from Google, Salesforce.com, Adobe
| and VMware (with Tim O'Reilly acting as panel moderator).

Hadoop: Funny Name, Powerful Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Doug Cutting was a work-at-home dad plugging away at open source search code
| when he had a light-bulb moment that led him to create Hadoop, an open source
| adaptation of Google's MapReduce. Now, Yahoo is using Hadoop for all kinds of
| high-power computing functions.

Cernunnos Project Announces 1.0 Release of Open Source, Reusable Libraries for
Java Environments

,----[ Quote ]
| The Cernunnos Team, a group of developers from leading educational
| institutions and IT consulting companies, is pleased to announce the
| availability of Cernunnos v1.0.0, the first release of Cernunnos for the
| general public. Cernunnos is an open source Java project that embodies
| software industry best practices based on innovative design principles. Used
| frequently and extensively by institutions deploying the uPortal open source
| enterprise portal, it provides a number of programming libraries and
| templates that dramatically reduce the time and effort in Java development by
| effectively promoting reuse in common programming tasks.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/Cernunnos-Project-Announces-10-Release/story.aspx?guid=%7B5C9C739C-F841-4E14-B37B-13132A52FFFC%7D
http://tinyurl.com/5qwyw3

Yahoo's Hadoop software transforming the way data is analyzed

,----[ Quote ]
| Cutting, a 44-year-old programmer who had helped build search engines at
| Apple and Excite, had started the search project in 2000 because he wanted
| his code to live on. He knew that closed-source projects, where software is
| treated as a corporate secret, had a way of dying. With open source, the code
| is published and other programmers can contribute suggestions and help fix
| bugs.
`----

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_10897240?nclick_check=1

OpenSolaris Project: Hadoop Live CD

,----[ Quote ]
| Organizations routinely collect a huge amount of data, including web crawls,
| email messages, and scientific data. Processing these datasets with
| traditional relational database models or streaming algorithms is no longer
| scalable. A new data processing model, MapReduce, addresses this challenge by
| leveraging large clusters of hundreds or thousands of heterogeneous servers.
`----

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/livehadoop/

Hypertable Lead Discusses Hadoop and Distributed Databases

,----[ Quote ]
| At the time that we started on the project, an open source Bigtable
| implementation did not exist, so we decided to build it ourselves. The reason
| that we chose open source is because we felt that an open source
| implementation of Bigtable would be inevitable. By leading the development
| effort, we would have a leg up on the competition in terms of knowledge,
| expertise, and credibility.
`----

http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/04/hypertable-interview

Hip-hip-Hadoop!