[News] Open Standards Essential to the Web, Firefox 1.0 Turns 4

A pragmatic European approach to open standards (a must-read)

,----[ Quote ]
| The report starts out by acknowledging that standards have numerous benefits,
| including enabling innovation, preparing the ground for better products,
| spreading new technology, expanding market access, boosting transparency,
| avoiding lock-in, creating market stability, and ensuring efficiency and
| economic growth. The standards process balances change and continuity in the
| marketplace.
|
| And according to Vint Cerf (2008), widely esteemed as the father of the
| Internet: “The Internet is fundamentally based on the existence of open,
| non-proprietary standards”.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21561/1129/

In the 90s, Microsoft complained about the Internet and wasn't interested
because the Internet didn't comprise its proprietary formats. It's now trying
to pollute it not just with ActiveX but with the Silver Lie too.

Firefox Turns Four!

,----[ Quote ]
| Four years ago today, Mozilla announced the release of Firefox 1.0. and
| delivered a better Web experience to millions of users.   Top features
| included pop-up blocking, fraud protection, integrated search and tabbed
| browsing. What made you decide to give Firefox a try?  And what were your
| favorite features in Firefox 1.0?  2.0?  3.0?  If you’re interested in what’s
| coming next for Firefox, you can download and help test Firefox 3.1 beta 1.
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/blog/2008/11/09/firefox-turns-four/

Recent:

Kiss Firefox EULA goodbye

,----[ Quote ]
| When Mozilla requested Ubuntu to show Firefox’s End User License Agreement on
| Firefox first start, the Ubuntu and other free software advocacy communities
| cried foul, because for some reason, stating the obvious (that Mozilla is not
| liable for whatever happens to your computer and that the software is free)
| is not in tune with the open source spirit.
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/11/kiss-firefox-eula-goodbye/

The View From Firefox's Bleeding Edge

,----[ Quote ]
| Why do all this? For one, it gives me an idea of what the quality of the
| nightly builds are like for a given project, when such builds are available.
| Firefox's nightlies are remarkably solid -- not one of them has burped on me
| in the course of even remarkably heavy use, although I don't use the
| nightlies for things like accessing my bank account.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/11/the_view_from_f.html

Firefox 3.1 beta 1 released and reviewed

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has released Firefox 3.1 Beta 1, the first official development
| release of the next update to Firefox 3 just about four months after its
| release past June.
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/10/firefox-31-beta-1-released-and-reviewed/

Browser Review: Mozilla Firefox 3

,----[ Quote ]
| By some estimates, more than 1.4 billion people use the Internet for work,
| entertainment, or commerce. All of those web surfers must use a browser to
| visit websites or shop at online stores, and if browsing speed, security, and
| functionality matter, those users should be cruising the information super
| highway with the Mozilla Firefox 3 web browser.
|
| [...]
|
| Recommendation: Firefox is the Best Browser Available Today
|
| Firefox is fast, safe, and offers better functionality than the competition
| thanks to an impressive collection of add-ons and some cool built-ins. The
| browser is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems, and it is
| free to everyone. Certainly there are tradeoffs, but compared to
| compatibility problems and graphics support issues in IE6 and IE7, Chrome’s
| spying, and Opera’s propensity to crash, Firefox is the best.
`----

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/843-Browser-Review-Mozilla-Firefox-3

Overhauled tabbed browsing for Firefox 3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox 3.1 may well be remembered as the “tab release”, as tabbed browsing
| will be the most noticeable updated area users will face when it comes out in
| final form.
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/09/overhauled-tabbed-browsing-for-firefox-31/

Finer session restore for Firefox 3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Back from a totally offline, sweet 7-day cruise with great times at Aruba,
| Curaçao, Sint Maarten, and Saint Thomas. Aruba and Curaçao: overrated. Sint
| Maarten: the winner hands down. If you can, jump on one now!
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/10/finer-session-restore-for-firefox-31/

Mozilla: Firefox is faster than Chrome

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla answered claims that Google's Chrome browser outperforms Firefox with
| benchmark results of its own that showed the upcoming Firefox 3.1 is faster
| at executing JavaScript.
|
| According to tests run by Brendan Eich, Mozilla's chief technology officer
| and the creator of JavaScript, Firefox's new TraceMonkey interpreter is up to
| 28 percent faster than V8, the name Google gave to the interpreter used by
| Chrome.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1499123917&rid=-50

Firefox 3.1 Alpha 2 reviewed