Re: [News] Creative Labs Finally Embraces the GNU GPL

  • Subject: Re: [News] Creative Labs Finally Embraces the GNU GPL
  • From: Homer <usenet@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 03:24:57 +0000
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:RXsQoHeFyTNJaAHR5UQLCyl9q8g=
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

> Creative Gives In, They Open-Source Their X-Fi Driver

The fiasco with Daniel_K; the (apparently) deliberately broken Vista
drivers (yes ... *deliberately* due to "marketing considerations");
their pathetic attempt to produce Linux drivers; and the fact that a
bunch of enthusiasts accomplished that which the paid "professionals" at
Creative seemingly couldn't (for both Linux and Vista), was a series of
PR disasters of monumental proportions, although not exactly atypical in
the PC hardware industry - just higher profile.

Combined with the fact that most people these days simply don't care
about the branding of their PC's audio, or even think about it at all,
since it is nearly always built in to the motherboard, Creative must
have been losing revenue from their soundcard division hand over fist.
In fact I'm surprised it's still operational at all.

As I put it at the time:

[quote]
Of course it may turn out that Creative Labs have "protected" this
"property" so well, that no one will actually want to buy it, since it
patently doesn't work without the contributions of the unpaid volunteers
they chased away.
[/quote]

http://slated.org/intellectual_insanity

It seems Creative had to learn that lesson the hard way.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
|  the most practical one. That point of view lasted for maybe two
|  weeks after initial exposure to Lisp."   ~ Constantine Vetoshev

 03:24:37 up 2 days, 11:07,  4 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.00