[News] Pandora Linux-based Consoles Sold Out, Delivery Awaiting

Delivery problems with Pandora Game Console

,----[ Quote ]
| All 3.800 planned units are actually sold out since October, 5th. Personally
| we would be very happy if someone would show up with a sample Pandora console
| at the Chemnitz Linux Days or similar fairs.
`----

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2499

Recent:

Pandora project demoed on video, shows off hardware, Linux, and Quake 2

,----[ Quote ]
| It's pretty exciting stuff if you're a homebrew fan (and we know you are),
| featuring demos of the device smoothly running emulators like PicoDrive,
| PSNES, booting up a build of Linux, and even getting its Quake 2 on (at high
| frame rates and looking crystal clear).
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/20/pandora-project-demoed-on-video-shows-off-hardware-linux-and/

Opening the box: The story of the Pandora (so far)

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source handhelds have been with us for a while now. Those of you with a
| decent memory will recall the excellent GP2X from Korean manufacturer
| Gamepark Holdings, a device capable of performing numerous different
| functions, the most appealing of which is the ability to emulate several
| retro gaming platforms such as the Mega Drive, NES and PC Engine. Owning such
| a machine is like having an entire video game collection in your pocket.
|
| [...]
|
| The more open source machines, the better – they are the future. The Eee PC
| has already shown then a machine running Linux can sell as well as – or even
| better than – a machine running Windows. Open source is the future, there is
| an ever increasing demand for such machines and manufacturers are now
| becoming aware of the fact you don't have to run Windows anymore – the
| internet is the future and it does not need Microsoft.
`----

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/Pandora/news.asp?c=8667

Open-source gaming goes commercial with Wiz handheld

,----[ Quote ]
| Homebrew and open-source applications often offer utility unrivaled by the
| more mainstream units, and that's something GPH is hoping to take advantage
| of with this new handheld. The Linux-powered device (running its own GP2X
| distribution) sports an Arm9 533MHz processor with a 3D accelerator, 64MB of
| RAM, 1GB of built-in NAND flash memory, an external SD card slot, and a
| single USB 2.0 connection. The display is a 2.8" OLED touch screen panel with
| a resolution of 320 by 240 (QVGA). The unit is powered by a 2000mAh
| Lithium-Ion battery that nets an advertised five hours of play time.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080826-open-source-gaming-goes-commercial-with-wiz-handheld.html
http://tinyurl.com/6h5aau

Gampark's GP2X Wiz handheld now available

,----[ Quote ]
| We caught a glimpse of GamePark's new Wiz GP2X / GP3X handheld a month or so
| back, and the homebrew-friendly black-and-red unit is now available. $179 of
| your American dollars is all it takes to enjoy the 2.8-inch QVGA OLED screen,
| 533MHz ARM9 processor, 64MB of RAM, 16GB of flash, and 5 hour battery life --
| not to mention a Flash 7 player, MPEG4, xViD and DivX compatibility and new
| games scheduled to hit every month. Dynamism say these'll start shipping on
| October 8th -- anyone throwing down?
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/08/26/gamparks-gp2x-wiz-handheld-now-available/

Related:

Could Pandora open up Linux games?

,----[ Quote ]
| A stealth-mode startup is readying a Linux-based handheld gaming device with
| WiFi, USB, and a 4.3-inch 800x480 touchscreen. The "Pandora," headquartered
| at OpenPandora.org for now, runs Linux on a next-generation ARM SoC with
| integrated OpenGL 2.0 compliant graphics processor.

US Copyright Office grants abandonware rights

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/23/us-copyright-office-grants-abandonware-rights/