Re: Another "downgrade" to XP

____/ Rex Ballard on Thursday 06 November 2008 16:25 : \____

> On Nov 6, 10:17 am, "DFS" <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Rex Ballard wrote:
>> > Ballmer has tried to claim that "Windows 7 will fix
>> > Vista",
>
>> Where did he say this?
>
> More like Windows 7 will be better than Vista - (faster? more secure?
> more reliable?  better 3rd party support?)

He said that Windows 7 is like Vista, only improved. I couldn't find the exact
quote, but I found:

Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress'

,----[ Quote ]
| As PC users clamor for Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP, company
| CEO Steve Ballmer called the Vista OS "a work in progress" at an annual
| Seattle event on Thursday.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/144773/ballmer_vista_is_a_work_in_progress.html

Would you pay for a "Work in progress"?

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry windows people. You have been gypped. You have been ripped off and had
| your coffers emptied into the microsoft pockets. You have paid for the
| privilege of using a final product but have been handed a work in progress.
| In other words an unfinished product. Something that is not good enough to be
| called final. Something with many problems and missing features (where is
| that wonderful new file system?) If you were to buy anything, whether it is
| hardware or software, especially if you are going to rely on it for a living.
| Wouldn't you want it to be something other than "A work in progress"?
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/would-you-pay-for-a-work-in-progress-23910

Microsoft tries to avoid Ballmer deposition in Vista suit

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2008/09/29/daily37.html

> Vista was supposed to be "Better" than XP - it was more secure than XP
> with no 3rd party software - but all Microsoft did was try to extend
> the monopoly.  On the other hand, it was much slower, needed much more
> memory, much more CPU, and much more hard drive storage, it also needs
> faster hard drives (7200 RPM SATA vs 5400 EIDE).
>
> XP was supposed to be better than Windows 2000 - it was supposed to be
> more secure - with no 3rd party software, but license restrictions,
> lack of installation media, security issues, and vulnerability to
> ActiveX attacks made XP the first "Disposable Computer".  Most
> companies would simply swap out defective computers without even
> trying to recover them on site.  The defective machines would be re-
> imaged at the "repair center".  Consumers were pretty much left
> swinging in the breeze.  Microsoft did eventually allow users to use
> the XP Professional Upgrade kit media to re-install XP on corrupted
> drives - but you had to buy the disk and if you hit the 3 install
> limit, you had to call Microsoft to have them unlock it for you.
>
> Windows 2000 was MUCH better than NT 4.0 - much faster kernel, much
> more reliable, more secure, efficient, excellent USB support, FireWire
> support - a very nice system - one of Microsoft's best ever.
> Installed from a single CD, and was easy to recover.  It also ran well
> on NT 4.0 machines.  It also runs very well on very small Virtual
> machines - as little as 64 megabytes of RAM, and as little as 4 gig of
> hard drive (which still gives you lots of room for applications).
>
>> > Acer, ASUS, and
>> > Lenovo have been aggressively marketing "No OS" machines
>
>> Show us.  I've never seen an Acer website that didn't recommend Windows
>> Vista.  And Lenovo recently signed a $1.2 billion deal with Microsoft.
>
> I've been seeing "No OS" machines in Europe, the Middle East, and
> Asia.
>
> Anybody have an update on South America?

Actually, they aggressively market Linux machines (except Lenovo) and Microsoft
is trying to have their hands tied with payments and discounts it offers. It's
pathetic.

More evidence of Microsoft "tying up" the Asus EeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| Then, one of the makers of Netbooks will release a fantastic product using
| the paid Ubuntu/Netbook Remix, which will make us all forget about the EeePC
| — or, maybe we’ll remember it as one of the makers which used GNU/Linux in
| order to launch a product, and then gave in to Microsoft’s pressure.
|
| The real question is: will the next maker manage to resist Microsoft’s
| pressure? Or will everybody end up closely tied up with Microsoft?
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/more_evidence_microsoft_tying_up_the_asus_eeepc

Microsoft worried over Linux ULPCs

| An un-named Microsoft official quoted in the original article claims that
| manufacturers currently offering Linux on their low-cost devices “have made
| some good inroads with open-source, and Microsoft wants to put a stop to it.”
`----

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2008/05/12/microsoft-worried-over-linux-ulpcs/1

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
| open source rival
|
| Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
| around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
| sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
| Press.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29939/Otellini-MID-revolution-will-be-centred-round-Linux

Acer bets big on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Acer has stated that it will be pushing Linux aggressively on its laptops and
| netbooks.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2218172/acer-pushes-linux-hard

Microsoft sees slide in profits

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

"If the operating system is in fact a natural monopoly, then what could be
better than having an operating system that nobody owns?"
                --James Love
 19:05:01 up 22 days,  3:23,  1 user,  load average: 1.85, 1.95, 1.90