Re: The incident that caused me to stop dual booting and go to Linux

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 02:33:56 -0600, Terry Porter <linux-2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Hi All,

>Roy Schestowitz recently wrote the following on COLA :-

>"A lot of people keep dual-booting for many years until a generation of
>software 'fades' and the user conveniently goes GNU/Linux-only. I fall
>under this category as well."

>What Roy says was certainly very true in my case.

>I had installed Linux on my pc around 1995 - 1996 on a separate hard
>drive to my Windows 95 install, and I used to just turn off the PC and
>swap the IDE cable from one hard disk to the other, to switch between
>OSes.

I discovered back in the late 90's that dual booting invites microsoft OSs
to corrupt foreign partitions.  My OS/2 install became far more stable when
I quit running windows 95.

Nowadays, if I must run a windows app, I do it in a vmware session.  I don't let
it save any work so that when it corrupts it self, I can simply revert to a
snapshot.  All my work is saved on the linux side via samba.