Re: [News] American President Runs on Free Software and GNU/Linux

  this bit o' wisdom:

> Obama Campaign Hopes for Better Web Security
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The requirements are pretty much what you'd read in any e-commerce security
>| help-wanted ad: VPN (virtual private network) and Unix or Linux experience,
>| along with a "deep understanding" of LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and Perl)
>| development. And of course, the successful candidate must be willing
>| to "respond off-hours to high urgency security situations."
> `----
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146997/obama_campaign_hopes_for_better_web_security.html

   Security experts said this is the first time they can remember seeing a
   Web security job advertised for a political campaign.

   . . .

   Obama's Web site, built by Facebook cofounder Chris Hughes, has been the
   model of Web 2.0 campaigning, using social-networking techniques to raise
   funds and build a broad base of active, Internet-savvy supporters.

So what if it is not Obama himself bless it?

> Obama Voices Support for ODF
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| OpenDocument Format supporters are welcoming presidential hopeful Sen. Barack
>| Obama's promise to put government data online in universally accessible
>| formats should he be elected.ODF a National Standard in Korea
> `----

   "We have to use technology to open up our democracy. Its no coincidence
   that one of the most secretive administrations in history has favored
   special interests and pursued policies that could not stand up to
   sunlight. As president, I'll change that. I'll put government data online
   in universally accessible formats," Obama said in a speech at Googles
   Mountain View, Calif., campus last week, where he also revealed his
   detailed IT plan for a more open and technically enabled government.

Nah, Zeke's right.  Obama ain't /really/ thinking about open-source and open
formats.  It's all a sham.

Even more interesting:

   "Obama has introduced an IT hot potato into the presidential debate that
   has already riled the waters in multiple state legislatures and been the
   subject of heavy lobbying by vendors. Whether other candidates in
   general -- and Mitt Romney in particular -- respond in kind or opt to
   keep their distance remains to be seen," Andy Updegrove, a partner with
   Boston law firm Gesmer Updegrove, said in a post on his Standards blog.

--
As fathers commonly go, it is seldom a misfortune to be fatherless; and
considering the general run of sons, as seldom a misfortune to be childless.