[News] GNU/Linux Hurts Windows, Microsoft Suffers Decline

Linux Foundation: Sympathy for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| A whole week of success stories for Linux and Open Source, while Microsoft is
| battling the press, thus the summary from Jim Zemlin, executive director of
| the Linux Foundation. Even the New York Times sees a good positioning for
| Linux on desktops.
`----

http://www.linux-magazine.com/linux_magazine_com/online/news/linux_foundation_sympathy_for_microsoft

Microsoft will be stung by Intel's Atom

,----[ Quote ]
| In their most recent conference call, Microsoft execs cited the rise of the
| netbook as the largest factor in reducing their operating system average
| selling price. Consumers who buy netbooks do not need (nor could they even
| install) the premium version of Microsoft software-- instead they are buying
| the stripped down version. And in some cases, they aren't even doing that:
| one netbook manufacturer says that 30% of their sales come from Linux powered
| devices that have no Microsoft content at all!
`----

http://www.financialpost.com/analysis/columnists/story.html?id=9e6a7a2b-6db4-456c-a724-67320ed8f2de

List Of Devices On Your Telecom Bill: PVR. Cable Box. Netbook?

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier today, I filed the following response (below in blockquotes) to Dave
| Winer's post regarding the coming of the $99 netbook.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2008/11/list_of_devices.html

Recent:

Australians Demand Linux Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| Geek Central’s store had numerous Netbooks — those low-cost sub-notebooks —
| on display. Fact is, Netbooks are everywhere in Melbourne, with most local
| retailers carrying Asus’s Eee PC.
|
| Now for the twist: Initially, Geek Central only carried Windows XP-based
| Netbooks. But customer demand for Linux-based Netbooks was overwhelming,
| according to Mike — a Geek Central mate who gave The VAR Guy the scoop.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/10/26/australians-demand-linux-netbooks/

Linux Carried Along on Netbooks Wave

,----[ Quote ]
| Morvay revealed to Linux Magazine Online that there were no specific figures
| for Linux netbook sales, but that it lay somewhere in the 40th percentile.
| Even though this figure seems a little high, it is known that many of the
| world's netbooks have Linux on board since their first inception 18 months
| ago.
|
| For example, notebooks with Linux make up about 5.5% of the notebook market
| in Germany...
`----

http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/online/news/linux_carried_along_on_netbooks_wave

Sustainable computing for the masses