Re: All Wintrolls gone off air all of a sudden simultaneously!

After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 10:02:59 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Was it not your prediction (among others') that mobile computing like this
>> would cannibalise sales of so-called 'desktops'? According to the
>> shillnalysts, that's already happening. There's no Vista in this space and the
>> expiring version of Windows is almost given away now... still, almost half the
>> units are sold with GNU/Linux, including specially-customed ones like the
>> software/layer from H-P.
>
> Funny how you seem to have missed Asus's claim that XP outsells Linux on
> netbooks 7:3.  That's not even close to "almost half", but it's nice that
> you admit that Windows outsells Linux on netbooks.
>
> http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20081031PD209.html
>
> "Currently, netbooks with a hard drive are the mainstream specification
> accounting for 70% of total shipments, while SSDs account for the other
> 30%. The ratio of Eee PCs preloaded Windows XP and Linux stands at 7:3"

How do you know that people really just want the extra RAM and drive space
required by XP?  <joke>  <joke>

Personally, I wouldn't touch XP on those machines.  Hell, I commandeered
someone's old Latitude 510 laptop (same model as I had a couple years ago),
and the suckage of XP on it is awful.  Why in the hell does a right click
on any item (left /or/ right panel) almost always yield an hourglass and
a "not responding" message from Explorer?  I have to resort to the command
line to do stuff.

Aside from that little laptop-specific problem, XP is just /putzy/.

--
I have become me without my consent.