[News] Why Linux Phones Can Beat iPhone, Embraced by Entrepreneur

When Android beats the iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| This is great. A week or so ago Google was alone in developing Android. They
| made it open source and boom, an internal application is getting perfected by
| the community. End user benefit from it immediately, because they can
| download it for free from the Android Market (which is such an easy task to
| do). The OS allows you to define a default email client, so you are good to
| go.
|
| All this, without any intervention of Google or T-Mobile. The community fixed
| the issue for T-Mobile... You have to love this one if you are a mobile
| operator.
`----

http://www.funambol.com/blog/capo/2008/10/when-android-beats-iphone.html

Aussie entrepreneur beats telco giants to develop Google phone

,----[ Quote ]
| A small Melbourne-based electronics company will be the first in Australia to
| develop a mobile phone based on Google Android software, beating major
| carriers and phone makers to the punch.
|
| Kogan Technologies – run by 25-year-old Ruslan Kogan – sells electronic goods
| direct from manufacturers, which reduces the company’s overheads. It has
| announced plans to develop a phone using Google’s new Android software, an
| open-source operating system for mobile phones.
|
| “I’ve been following the development of Android for about a year now. I’ve
| always had the concept in my mind of open source software for mobile phones,
| just never had the capacity to undertake it. When they announced Android, I
| got very excited,” Kogan says.
`----

http://www.smartcompany.com.au/Free-Articles/The-Briefing/20081031-Aussie-entrepreneur-beats-telco-giants-to-develop-Google-phone.html

Motorola recently joined OHA/Android as well. ASUS might too.

Related:

Google Exec: Android To Beat iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Rich Miner even went after Apple's handheld darling.  "Once you have devices
| out there from Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and so on, there's a much larger
| potential market on Android than for the iPhone," he said.  "[T]here's a
| single manufacturer, it's targeted at a particular demographic, and it falls
| far short of the 1 billion mobile phones sold every year worldwide."
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/03/17/google-exec-android-to-beat-iphone

iPhone vs. Android : An Open Source Devs Perspective

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Andrea Gazzaniga, software development manager at mobile open
| source vendor Funambol the answer is not entirely clear. In a rambling
| overflow presentation at AjaxWorld's iPhone Sumitt, Gazzaniga attempted to
| outline the differences and similiaraties between iPhone and Android.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/03/iphone-vs-android-an-open-sour.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Is Google Android the Next Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| On the flip side, Good Android (here’s a video demo) is a cross-platform
| software environment that multiple hardware vendors and service providers are
| expected to embrace. Although Android isn’t fully baked, Google is
| aggressively promoting the operating environment to third party developers.
| The idea is to get developers on board early, so that tons of Android
| applications are ready when Android-compatible devices finally debut.
|
| [...]
|
| Eventually, The VAR Guy suspects, Android devices will easily leapfrog
| iPhone’s market share. But that’s not a terrible thing for Apple. Although
| Apple nearly died on the desktop, Apple’s more recent innovations prove that
| you can thrive even when you hold less than 10 percent of a technology
| market.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/03/20/is-google-android-the-next-windows/

HTC tight-lipped about Google phone

,----[ Quote ]
| MOBILE PHONE MAKER High Tech Computer (HTC) is developing a handset which
| will run Android software developed by Google and a consortium of other tech
| companies.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/20/paranoid-andriod

A third of all phones "smart" in five years

| ABI Research vice president Stuart Carlaw said, "The market is currently
| dominated by Nokia (52 percent) and Symbian (65 percent). However, the
| coalescence of the framework wars in the Linux environment and the growing
| stature of Windows Mobile will enable new competitors to put pressure on this
| established axis."

Research and Markets: Symbian and Linux Enjoy the Highest Penetration in the
Japanese Smartphone Market

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080102005331&newsLang=en