Re: Windows 7: The 'Dog Food' Tastes Bad

____/ Ben on Sunday 02 November 2008 18:32 : \____

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/153023/windows_7_the_dog_food_tastes_bad.html

> I agree -- To say that Microsoft (supposedly) employ some of the best
> developers in the world, and are still unable to produce a fully stable
> operating system with full backwards compatibility -every- single
> release cycle, it says something to me. I really don't see what the
> point would be of upgrading from Vista to Windows 7, when it's
> essentially a glorified Windows Vista.

Microsoft was never ahead of the curve. Moreover, lacking competition that it
bought out of destroyed, it became complacent and greedy (features it could
not implements).

> I know half a dozen Windows users who are planning to switch to one
> Linux distro or another by the time Windows 7 is released, half of whom
> aren't technically minded people, which says something too.

I know people who already moved. Things like AutoCAD and Halo don't stop them
(without or without compatibility layers) because they use the basics. It's
possible that as the barrier to entry in computing is lowered (emerging
markets going digital), about 80% of the users won't require anything beyond
the basics.

How many people truly require and need complexity like macros, let alone
complexity like viruses, Registry bloat and disk fragmentation?

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards
         run-level 5  Oct 15 15:52                   last=S